How to make toddler sheets?

I want to make toddler sheets and a pillowcase for my son because you can't really find Curious George toddler bedding that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I've got the material, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Anybody have any tips for me?

kasey22

Asked by kasey22 at 1:46 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Measure the depth of his mattress and the length and width. Multiply the depth + 2 inches by 2 and add that to the length and the width to get how large to cut your material. Then cut a square out of each corner that is the depth + 2 inches minus whatever your seam allowance will be.

Example: The mattress is 48" long and 30" wide (I don't have a mattress to measure so I'm just pulling numbers here...) The depth of the mattress is 5 inches. You want to have a 1/4 inch hem around the whole thing, and have a 1/4 inch seam allowance when you sew. SO.....Cut your material 62 inches long ( 48" mattress length plus 2 times the (depth 5" + 2") ) and 44" wide ( 30" mattress length plus 2 times the (depth 5" + 2"). Cut a square out of each corner. The square should measure 6 3/4 " (5" depth + 2 " - 1/4" seam allowance.

(cont.)
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:45 AM on May. 3, 2009

• With the right sides of the material together, sew the corners together where you cut the sides of the squares from each corner. Then, after making your 1/4 inch hem around the whole sheet, Cut some 1/4 " elastic about 2 inches less than the mattress is wide (example would be 28 " if the mattress is 30".) Pin the elastic about 2 inches past the corners on the sides, then stretch it to go around the end of the sheet, pin and sew it in place.

For the flat sheet, I cut the same dimensions as the fitted sheet, then finished one end like the fitted sheet and then turned under the other end by 6 1/4 inches, rolled under the raw edge another 1/4 inch and sewed it across.....just like full size sheets.

I hope I explained it clearly enough; if not, message me.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:50 AM on May. 3, 2009