What is this numbness

The last few days I've had some numbness, its my left pinkie and ring fingers. And sometimes up my arm. Has anyone had something like this? Does anyone have an idea on what it is?

kittythief

Asked by kittythief at 1:50 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Health

• I've had this. It started shortly after I had my son. My doctor diagnosed it as Carpal (sp?) Tunnel Syndrom. I don't really know if it is in fact CTS my dad has it and our symptoms are different.
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 1:55 AM on May. 3, 2009

• The pinkie and ring finger aren't suppose to be carpal, but can be related to the ulnar nerve or to a disc in your neck. My pinkie and ring finger on my right hand went numb 3 yrs ago. I had an EMG test that found carpal tunnel in both wrists, but that didn't explain those 2 fingers. I was told carpal would affect my index on the other side of my hand. I have arthrits in both hands, too, and was later found to have disc problems in my neck as well. My fingers were just doomed between them all. If the sensation runs up your arm to the elbow I'd guess ulnar nerve, but if it goes up to your shoulder, I'd worry it might be the neck. You could just have a pinched nerve (ulnar or higher up). I'd go in to your GP, have her/him check it out and maybe ask for referral to an orthopedist who specializes in the hand. Don't let it go, though. Good luck!
    wymom94

Answer by wymom94 at 4:08 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Possibly carpal tunnel, but I think the neck is a likely source as well. Its called neuropathy. Speak to a chiropractor. Mine is awesome. I have had very little numbness since Ive been seeing him for neck adjustments. I didnt originally go into him for that. I was having neck pain and headaches. I see a neurologist as well. My chiro keeps me from having to see the neuro so much. Its a joint effort. Both have good ideas and remedies. I have been diagnosed wtih a muscle spasm in the neck, but also the misalignment of the neck pulls on nerves in the arm and other parts of the body. I would reccommend a chiro first and then possibly a neurologist.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:57 AM on May. 3, 2009

• when i was pregnant my whole hand and halfway up my arm were numb for about 5 months and the dr said it was because of water retention.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 10:10 AM on May. 3, 2009

• ive had tingle and numbness in my feet and hands sometimes in my low back. I have had x rays this past week and they are doing an MRI because I have also had so much pain all over. they think possible that my siatic nerve or something is causeing it. I dont know for sure what they were talking about.
    Sproutmommy

Answer by Sproutmommy at 7:07 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I had this once and it was because the middle of my back was out of alignment. So, I went to the chiropractor and that seemed to do the trick. You might want to check with your doctor though. Not everyone's the same and self-diagnosis can be dangerous.
    momoGav

Answer by momoGav at 1:34 AM on May. 4, 2009