Fever help. . .

My daughter is almost 9 months old and spiked a 104.7 fever. She had been running a fever since Friday and when I took her to the doctor they said she had an ear infection. How high is too high for a fever in a baby this young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that's very high for her..have you given her any tylenol or motrin?..try this. get a bowl of cool water and kinda do a sponge bath..get one body part wet and then cover it up while doing another body part..when you're done doing that, try checking her rectal temp again to see if it goes down at all..also, dont keep her covered up and while you're doing sponge bath, dont get the head wet becuase it can spike the fever..GL
    BTW: did the dr. put her on any antibiotics for the ear infection?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:07 AM on May. 3, 2009

• if the temp doesnt go down after trying that, take her back to the dr..or er
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:08 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Yes, I gave her Tylenol and Motrin several times today and yesterday. I put her in a cool bath like they told me to the last time she was running a temp this high but it is not helping this time. She is actually on 2 antibiotics...one for the ear infection and one for a lingering kidney infection (she has kidney disease and gets kidney infections ALL the time). I think I am going to call the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on May. 3, 2009

• i think if its at 104.7 you should take her into the er..or call since we're possible in a swine flu pandemic
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:14 AM on May. 3, 2009

• It is not the swine flu lol

Read this link. I work for this children's hospital and it has some great info on how to help with a fever, what is considered a dangerous fever, when to treat at home, etc. Be sure to click the tabs that say "Call 911," "Call the doctor later," "Treat at home," etc.

http://www.seattlechildrens.org/child_health_safety/health_advice/fever.asp
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:17 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Alternate Tyelnol and Motrin. Dress in less clothes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on May. 3, 2009

• lol..i didnt say it was the swine flu..READ Carefully..i said she should CALL incase there were possible cases at her hospital..she wouldnt want to get LO even more sick
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:20 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Wow, that's a high fever. I hope your little one feels better very soon!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:34 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Take her to the ER, that is a very high temp!!
    I'm not going to sit here & ramble off what it might be because I'm no DR but I do know that there can be serious complications as a result of a fever that high.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 2:49 AM on May. 3, 2009

• A fever is not an emergency until 106. 105 is when you start to try to bring it down
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on May. 3, 2009