How to discipline an 11month old?

So my daughter is 11months old, and she has quite an attitude, if she doesnt get what she wants, she will kick scream and hit people, and she is only 11months old!!! she is never around other kids, and we obviously dont act this way, so no idea where she got this. i dont know what to do to get her to stop, she understands no, but continues to do it, what can i do to help her with this problem, and our faces,which is what she hits. we r just saying "NO kylie, dont hit people its not nice!!!" in a firm voice. but its not getting newhere. is there anything i can do?

kyliebugs_mommy

Asked by kyliebugs_mommy at 3:09 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stand her in the corner facing the wall until she calms down. My mom did that with my niece when she was like that at 3 and it worked like a charm.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 3:24 AM on May. 3, 2009

• As far as the kicking and screaming, I am sure it must in instinctual since I have never heard of baby/toddler who hasn't done it.

I'm currently having the same issues with my 2 year old, in addition to saying "No, that's not nice" when she does hit,one of the things I do with my daughter is to keep her at arms length away from me when she is acting like that. As odd as it may seem, even though she are hitting and angry and frustrated-she still wants to be comforted. She is starting to realize, she won't be held until she calms down.

Martina70

Answer by Martina70 at 3:30 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Cont.

You can also try nip the power struggle in the bud before it begins by re-directing your DD instead of telling her 'No'. My daughter has taken to shaking our newborns bassinet (with the NB in it!) after MANY battles of telling her No- and moving her away only for her to go back and do it again -and again for it to finally end up with her in a tantrum and me angry and panicked. I started to tell her "Elmo needs.." (she has a cuddle me Elmo doll) .".a hug...his Binky...to be burped" to get her interested in something else. It's been working, she stops at once and goes and plays with her Elmo.
    Martina70

Answer by Martina70 at 3:35 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Well i think its just a stage they go through whether they see you do it or not. If you are at home when she throws a fit sit her down and walk away from her, if you show her that you are getting worked up she will keep doing it, they normally do it for attention because if they are getting what they want, you arent getting what you want (a clam child!). that is what i do my daughter will be 1 on Tuesday and when she acts like that i sit her down and pay NO attention to her, i dont tell her NO, i dont count, NOTHING and she stops within a few seconds. When she sees that i wont give her a reaction shes done! as far as the hitting, i used to smack her hands and then thought DUH thats just contradicting myself! So now i grab her hand and give it a sligh squeeze and say "you dont hit mommy, thats not nice" and let go, and every time she does it i do it! but if it continues again its a game so i put her down and leave her alone! GL
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 5:21 AM on May. 3, 2009

• We started baby time outs at around 9 months. We would hold our daughter in our laps immobilized and softly count backwards from 20 (until my husband got the idea in his head that if we counted backwards she would never learn to count properly and insisted that we count from 1 to 20). After she turned a year, it was "blanket in the closet". We did not go to formal timeouts until she turned 2.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:07 AM on May. 3, 2009

• If you try any of these, and they work... please PM me and let me know. I have THE most hateful 14 mo old. He's been like this since 9-10 mos. He hits, he screams, he even shakes his finger at you (one hand on the hip, shaking his finger and yelling at the top of his lungs). This is if he doesn't get his way, or his brother is "bothering" him, or we're riding in the car and he doesn't like the song on the radio - yes I'm serious. And telling him "no" - he thinks its an invitation to misbehave. He gets this grin on his face and does it anyway. *sigh* I need Nanny 911.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 10:15 AM on May. 3, 2009

• You should try eliminating red dye (all dyes is better but red is the worst). My child was a terror until we did this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I have one that is almost six and still does wrong things for attention. So some children are just stubborn and once they get tired of being constantly corrected for on misbehavior they find a new one to focus on. When she was little like that we would put her in her room and tell her when she could be nice she could come out. If she came out crying or flailing we would just pick her up and put her back. This usually works best with a baby gate. So you can see him/her but they cannot leave the confines of their room until you allow them too. Most times it only took a moment before her tantrum turned into a cry of wanting to be with us an cuddled. We would pick her up and tell her we loved her but NO HITTING, No KICKING, No FIGHTING , No BITTING or she'd go back to the room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Spank her! I know a lot of people think this is HORRIBLE! But she is wearing a diaper... just tap her on her bottom - hard enough to startle her, but not hard enough to really hurt. She will get the point! My DD got her first spanking when she was about 6 months old... it wasn't even what most would consider a real spanking. But it worked! GL! And other moms, please don't yell at me for this. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are yours =]
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 8:00 PM on May. 3, 2009