Cold medication and breastfeeding?????? HELP!

I have a lung infection and a very stuffy nose... can I take any kind of cold medicine that will help with my stuffy nose while breastfeeding?? I just want to treat the stuffy nose.... Can I take benadryl? I took that for allergies when I was pregnant, but the pharmacist said I couldn't take it while b/f... WHY? How does that make sense?? Someone help me! I haven't been to sleep yet cuz I can't freakin' breathe!!! Saline didn't work, humidifier/vaporizer isn't an option... Can't use vicks cuz I'll throw up... I need a medication that is safe...

Kaytlynsmommy

Asked by Kaytlynsmommy at 5:32 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried a netty pot?....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:33 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I think I could use Tylenol cold meds when breastfeeding. The pharmacist should be able to tell you a safe one to take! I hope you find something that works soon!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:47 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Yes, you can take Benadryl, just be careful though, because that knocks me out, so make sure someone else is around to help with the baby. DON'T take original Sudafed (psuedoephedrine) as it can begin to dry your milk. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it's a big possibility. Feel better!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:04 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Any thing that dries up your nose has the potential to dry up your milk too. I would try a netti pot and other ways to relieve the congestion before doing the meds.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:26 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Krysta was right about the Sudafed, but Benadryl does the same thing. aeneva is right...anything that can "dry up" your nose can threaten your milk too so if you do take anything make sure you stay incredibly hydrated and use it only when you HAVE to.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:03 AM on May. 3, 2009

• maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:54 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I've never heard this of Benadryl. (potentially drying milk up)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:03 PM on May. 3, 2009