how to get my 9 month to sleep through the nite?

ashleybradley

Asked by ashleybradley at 5:32 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Luck!...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Try keep him/her up during the day, so he/she would be tired at night...never tried it though
    dashion

Answer by dashion at 6:24 AM on May. 3, 2009

• OMG! I feel your pain! Our 9 MO used to sleep so good until the last two weeks (he's trying to walk and got 2 new teeth, now he has 6) and he is going through separation anxiety as well! He's been up every hour on the hour for the past 6 nights ((I actually fell asleep driving home from work on Friday, dh works nights so I'm on my own).
    Yesterday, instead of pawning him off on grandma so I could sleep, I decided I was gonna fix the little bugger. I dragged him around all day, keeping him active, and limiting his naps to no more than an hour at a time and only when he was really really tired. He went to bed at 8 last night w/ no problem (just a little rocking, maybe 5 mins) and only got up twice (which is normal). He's still sleeping and it's 7 am! (I should have slept in, dang it.)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:47 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Keep him/her very active during the day!!! And a good dinner with a warm bath afterwards. My son goes to daycare and only sleeps an hour, hour and a half there. When we get home, we play, then dinner, and then a bath. I've been using the Nighttime Bed Wash and Lotion from Johnson & Johnson. But honestly, I don't think it really works like it says but, give a try... It won't hurt. GOOD LUCK!
    Dylanmom731

Answer by Dylanmom731 at 9:20 AM on May. 3, 2009

• i give my lil one a bath about an hour befor bedtime every night,she sleeps 10:pm to 9:30 the next day
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:32 AM on May. 3, 2009

• When are people going to learn there is NOTHING you can do to make a baby sleep through the night. They will on their own time.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:53 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Most people don't know that 4-6 hours of sleep IS sleeping through the night for a baby! All you can do is keep a good bedtime routine, nothing else will work. Keeping them awake during the day is VERY likely to backfire resulting in an over tired and over stimulated baby.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:10 AM on May. 3, 2009

• What I do with my son is give him a bath using "bed time bath" its by Johnsons. i used the in the bath its kind of like bubble bath but not alot of bubbles. after he gets out I rub him down with the bed time lotion and but him in his pjs. I dont know know if I was just very lucky or what but my son since he was about 2 months old and we have been doing this sleeps like a champ. I start his bath around 8/8:30 and he sleeps till about 8:30. unless I wake him up, which I do during the week to get ready for work. You can get the set of the Johnsons stuff at walmart or babiesRus for like $15. It might be worth the money to try it! also another thing, my son has a stuffed Curious George and he loves sleeping with that thing. He only gets it at bed and hes had it for about 6 months now, and I think he knows that when he gets "Georgy" as we call it that is time for bed. i just lake him in bed and hes out. Hope it helps.
    JackieB33

Answer by JackieB33 at 11:11 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Rather than "keep him/her up during the day" which is a BAD idea, make sure that your baby is getting enough sleep during the day. If they are overtired, they will have a hard time sleeping. If your baby is getting enough naptime, then teething can disrupt sleep at this age. Or even hunger. Does your baby take a bottle in the middle of the night?

I also agree with the mom above me, a good bedtime routine can help too! :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:07 PM on May. 3, 2009