when to switch nipples???

i u se dr. browns bottles. my son is 7 weeks old. when do i change to the next nipple up, stage 2 or whatever? thnx

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 7:06 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when he is demanding his food and not thinking he is getting enough I believe. The next nipple should just be a faster flow...no biggy.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:37 AM on May. 3, 2009

• demanding it faster I mean
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:38 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I was just at the store looking at the Dr. Browns nipples wondering the same thing. The stage 2 nipples says 4 months but I think you judge it by your child. I was looking cause my 9 week old daughter is doing good with stage 1 but I was wondering when about she goes to stage 2.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:03 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I've heard when they are collapsing the nipples as they eat that you need to go up to the next flow.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:01 AM on May. 3, 2009

• You'll know when...and it has nothing to do with that is said on the package.

If he's having trouble getting his formula or breastmilk out, taking longer to drink, extra gassy, etc...it's time to go up a notch.

When you do, keep him a bit more upright for a few feedings until he gets used to the new flow. He's sucking super hard on the slow flow, and when he does that on the faster flow, he will sputter. Keeping him more upright will help cut down on the sputtering, keeping the bottle more horizontal at first will help too.

It won't take any time at all and he'll be used to it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:41 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I use Playtex drop-ins, but when I changed to stage 2/medium flow at 4 months, he got tons of hiccups and was super gassy! It was like a ton of liquid would come too fast. Just something to look for! Go with the pp's advice!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 5:43 PM on May. 3, 2009

• i never switched, C drank outta stage one until I took his bottles away at 10 months! the flow was too fast and gave him gas
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 10:01 PM on May. 6, 2009