my Dad

Even though I am a grown woman, my Dad likes to think he can impose his feelings about things and thinks women should be and act a certain way-he is so hard to be around even when i try teasing him-what can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• hi, I'm anon721. I'm 54 and hubby and I have two in college, oldest mid twenties and youngest in hs.
    I know what you mean and feel. It's maddening. My mother when I commented to her confused once that she doesn't give me approval on any thing turned to me and asked "why do you need my approval?" why the heck even as a grownup or child doesn't want their own parent to believe in that child's worthiness? That was years and years ago and it keeps up as long as we gab like friends or parent child instead of as neighbors or adults. My mother was very cold even when I was a kid. My interests of volunteer work meant nothing to her. I grew up feeling safe in our house but without being nurtured by her., although I had many other nurturing mother figures through out my life. What was your dad like with you when you were a kid? Was he just as anti-you as you say he is now? If so then he's a controlling person still.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on May. 3, 2009

• sounds normal . just because you are grown up doesnt mean your father isnt going to still put his two cents in . if you dotn likeit just tell him or ignore it . but it is normal for a father to still be there and still say what he thinks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on May. 3, 2009

• that's my mom. doesn't matter which it is. I've had to cut off seeing him often because of his inability to ever verbally appreciate me. Now when she's free she'll let me know and if I'm free to we'll get together for a short time and have a good time. I've even told her before I had to do this that I didn't want to. I'm in my fifties. I can tell you this, you're a good worthy human with out your dad's approval. He is now secondary in your life because you're a grown up. Maybe thinking along those lines can bring you closure and open up yourself to understanding that although he's a controlling person you can decide when and why, where to connect with him. Have you thought about for yourself counseling to understand your selfworth when you were a child and now. You exist your worthy what ever you've done or not done. Know that. Thinking of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on May. 3, 2009

• im 47 now and he says i haven't grown up yet - i dont really know what he means by that - i live with my husband-he has never really liked him-and we have one child at home and one in college
    Momoftwo278

Answer by Momoftwo278 at 8:26 AM on May. 3, 2009

• idk i dont like old fashion men they are msp's
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 3:29 PM on May. 3, 2009

• what is msp?and I have to say DaD was in the Navy for 20 of his married years and hes still with my Mom-he always worked, wasnt a drunk or druggie or cheated on Mom. He listened to me but he was busy with his wife and all six of us girls,and two parttime jobs too
    Anonymous

• oh yeah i had three older sisters who picked on me and two younger ones - one of which always took whatever i had new hanging in my closet
    Anonymous