Cleaning wood chairs

I have two old wood chairs that are in really good solid condition, but the finish is worn and they are really grimy. What is the best way to clean them? I think they are maple or cherry. I'm willing to maybe paint them but I really like the color they are now.

tazzeetwins

Asked by tazzeetwins at 8:24 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Murphy's Oil Soap first, followed by wiping thoroughly with Pledge (pre-moistened wipes or spray) to protect the wood and for follow-up cleanings.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:46 AM on May. 3, 2009

• you can sand them down, and restain them.

Or paint them.

The products you use won't keep it looking fresh for more than a few days max, then it's back to reapplying. If you really want to keep them looking like new.. sanding and restaining, or painting are your best options.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:10 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Thanks. I know I'll have to refinish them, but they really need a good cleaning first. They haven't been cleaned in who knows how long and they are that sticky dirty.
    tazzeetwins

Answer by tazzeetwins at 10:55 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I agree with the first poster - Murphy's Oil Soap. It is the answer to ALL your dirty wood that needs to be cleaned without being ruined.

I love original wood furniture in it's natural state, too. A friend of mine bought my granddaughter a lovely wooden high chair that matches my hutch, but it needs to be cleaned with Murphy's, too. So, while you wash your chairs, I'll be washing her high chair. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:04 PM on May. 4, 2009