How long does this take?

I have been trying to get a court date for a custody hearing for months! My son's Deadbeat father refuses to pay child support unless a court order forces him. The child is 7 months old! Is this normal for it to take so long to get these matters resolved? Anyone else been there? Is my lawyer just wasting my time?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 8:26 AM on May. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• It can take a while. I would ask your lawyer if he's actually filed the paperwork requesting a hearing date. If he has, then it just means the courts are really backed up and you have to wait. If he hasn't, then it sounds like he might be wasting your time, b/c the courts won't set a hearing date until one of the parties requests it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:10 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Probably so, I haven't been through that yet. I know court processing for an executor of a will takes forever. The named executor of a will of a family member isn't legally it yet and death was nearly two months ago. Maybe discplaced homemaker group can give you guidance or your lawyer?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on May. 3, 2009

• It depends on where you're at, on how long it will take.

Ask your attorney for a ball park estimant. It's NEVER a waste of time to get a person to live up to his/her obligations.

I think anyone who doesn't care for their children should be forced to wear a sign that says "I am not a good parent, I wouldn't pay child support until the court forced me!"
    Don't let him sky out because the system takes so long.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 10:25 AM on May. 3, 2009

• It can take a long time to get to court, depending on how many cases are on the court dockets. I know the child support agency in my county is really backed up. You can call your attorney and ask for an update on what is happening.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:29 PM on May. 3, 2009