Can I put him back on fomula for older babies?

My son is 16 months, 17 on the 13th. He's been off of formula since 12 months but he's just not gaining weight. He's definitely getting taller but I can see the bones in his chest and his spine. He eats constantly, gets breakfast, lunch, and dinner with snacks in between like pretzels, popcorn, cheese cubes, and the Jr. Lunchables. I bought him Pediasure but he hates it, he'll take one drink and shake his head no. He only gets juice in his sippy during the day and milk in it at nap and bedtime. I got him some gummy bear vitamins that he likes too. I was just wondering if I could put him back on formula so that he can gain some weight. He's about 21 pounds still.

bassyentihw

Asked by bassyentihw at 9:47 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did that for my daughter but she wasn't eating. The formula ended up getting her constipated, so now I just make her smoothies with peanut butter (or almond butter, or sunflower seed butter). They add extra calories and protein. My dd will be six in June.... she weighs 26 pounds. We use a nutritionist and her PCP follows her diet and weight gain.

My son on the other hand is quite the eater but doesn't grow as fast as my friends kids are growing. But he is quite healthy and developing ts fine. He will be 4 on the 13th and he weighs 30 pounds. We've never had to supplement him in any way. He's just a little guy.

I would recommend taking your son to his doctor, or even the local health department and see what they say about adding extra calories to your son's diet. It may not be necessary for your son.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:56 AM on May. 3, 2009

• oh yeah... one other thing that comes to mind....

Each of my kids have gone through growth spurts where they grow taller and not wider. Then they put on weight until its time for them to grow taller again. They look like they are getting thinner, but really they aren't, and its nothing to worry about.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:59 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I would stick with heathy foods full of good fats. Whole grain toast, avocado, whole wheat pasta, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 AM on May. 3, 2009

• My oldest is on meds that take away his appetite - pair that with having a super metabolism... and he was at risk for being "underweight" - so instead of regular milk at breakfast time (he was 4 at the time) we would mix whole milk with carnation instant breakfast... its loaded with calories and protein.

My middle child is almost 15 mo and is still on formula - but its only b/c he won't take milk and the dr. said that he shouldn't have more than 2 cups of juice a day. I don't give my kids soda or tea... so I get the formula that's made for "toddlers": 9-24 mos. I keep offering him milk every day, but until he accepts it, he will continue to be on the formula.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 10:27 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I agree with rkoloms. If he doesnt like sweet pediasure then he probably isnt going to like nasty formula anyways (really, it taste like cardboard and vomit).
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:52 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I've been trying to call his doctor. I've called 4 times and every time I get sent directly to a voice mail, I leave a message with my name, my sons name, why i'm calling, his SSN and my phone number and they still haven't called me back. I might try the peanut butter smoothie. I give him the V8 Splash Smoothies and he loves those. I've started giving him V8 juices instead of the big bottles of apple juice thinking maybe that's a little bit more healthy.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 11:16 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't worry unless your pedi says something. My son was put on a special elimination diet around that age and lost weight and they put him back on formula to gain it back. But I agree with the other mothers, just keep feeding him healthy things and there are always a lot of healthy foods with good fat (avocados and olives)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 11:36 AM on May. 3, 2009

• make him foods that are filling, and nutritious ,sorry but lunchables are really bad for you, it's not real food and it's filled with artificial flavors and preservatives. Whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, stuff like that... In my opinion , I don't know for a fact, But whenever I see really skinny children, I believe that they are malnourished, that, or they are just very skinny people.
    Anonymous

• What does the doctor say? Give him milk with his meals and cut back on the juice is one idea I have.

Just make sure he's getting balanced meals, and healthy snacks. He's eating so I'm not sure where the concern is unless you think he has a tapeworm. (I've thought that about my boys at times! LOL)

Unless the doctor has concerns, I wouldn't worry about trying to fatten him up. My three year old is a bottomless pit and he's 40 inches but only 35lbs! (soaking wet with clothes on!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:20 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Yes I nursed my son till he was 13 months and then he was on formula untill 24 months. I bought him the fomula for up to 24 months but make sure not to give him any more then 16 oz a day because he wont eat table food as much. I would give my son 24 oz but I had to cut back cause he wasnt eating as much. My son also hated pedialite so if he was ever sick we would just give him gatorade and he loved it. But also another thing you can do which I still give my 28 month old is put a stage 2 jar of any fruit baby food in with the milk. My son still wont drink cold milk so I poor milk in with the baby food and warm it up every time and he has any were between 2-3 sippys of milk a day. Each jar is a serving of fruit so its very healthy and I also get those smoothie danimals yogurts and mix those in as well. Just an idea :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:53 PM on May. 3, 2009