Umbilical stump fell off DAYS ago, why is his belly button bleeding?

So, Ben will be 3 weeks tomorrow, his stump fell off this past Tues. Everything has been fine, until I went to change his diaper/clothes this morning. I noticed his belly button looked a little dark (maybe it was a shadow?) so I swiped my finger over it... definitely blood. I wiped it with the baby wipe, thinking maybe its just a little bit and its not still bleeding - I was wrong. It continued to bleed... not heavy, but enough to alarm me. What could cause this???

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 9:51 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yea that happened to my son also, the Dr. just told me to keep it very dry(don't put Vaseline or neo on it), he also said every once in a while clean it with a little alcohol to clean it but not a lot and that will help dry it up also.
    JackieB33

Answer by JackieB33 at 10:50 AM on May. 3, 2009

• that is normal lol i freaked out too my daughter dr said it can happen for a week or two and it can have "discharge" as lon gas it is not a lot then it is ok
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:57 AM on May. 3, 2009

• yea the same thing happened to my daughter,of course I freaked! Went to the doctor and it was fine.But I always call the doctor to be safe.
    chesley1

Answer by chesley1 at 12:14 PM on May. 3, 2009