when and how should I transition my daughter to a toddler bed?

Lily is 18 months, we have a convertible crib with the changing table/dresser attatched. She now climbs up the changing table. We walked in on her one night sitting on top crying. We took the side rail down to make it a toddler bed but she is still able to climb up. I do have a friends regular crib but, With her doing that I know its a matter of time before she climbs out of a crib. Plus she has tried climbing out already.
However everyone else thinks she should stay in her crib. I feel like shes ready. Plus she likes to play after her naps, so I think if she is in a toddler bed she will get up and play in her room until she is ready to come out.

Is it time for a toddler bed? and how should we make the transition?

BelloItaliano

Asked by BelloItaliano at 9:56 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you're right; I think she might get up and play at first, enjoying Big Girl freedom, but she'll learn...fast, if you're consistent about putting her back.

If she's climbing out, and onto the changing table, my fear is that she could fall...

She's a big girl, Mama..sorry.
    Love to you both...especially your little (er, I mean big) monkey girl.
    xo
    ShutterbugMama

Answer by ShutterbugMama at 11:16 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Climbing out of the crib is a good sign she is ready. My son was 13 m/o when we transitioned him. What I did first was tried just the mattress on the ground. We put the mattress in the same place/position as his crib and we tried just the nap first. He did really well.. and transitioned almost immediately. At 17 m/o he was in just a regular twin bed. He's never fallen out. I think he is the exception to age though b/c he is a little monkey! :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 11:33 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I waited until my dd was 2 it has been six months now and she has never fallen out but, It is a FIGHT EVERY NIGHT to get her to stay in bed and go to sleep!
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 2 and she climbed out of her crib a couple of times and hasn't since. My mom got a great deal on a very nice twin bed, which was going to be for my son but he doesn't want it. We are going to give it to my little girl and transition her into it somehow. I have of yet to see it, so I have no clue how far off the ground it is. My parents have it and they need us to get it. Only way it will fit in my little ones room is if we take out the crib, she has an armoire in her room.I think she will be a fight to sleep in her big girl bed. My oldest 2 took right to the bed and were never a problem with getting up and playing when it is bed time. She is going to be a different story but she is ready for a big girl bed. Your daughter is ready for a big girl bed, good luck! Wish I had advice but my oldest 2 never gave me problems staying in bed.

Anonymous

• I'd say it's past time for a bed.

We put ours in a regular bed at 15 months. We didn't go to a toddler bed. We thought it was a waste of money since we'd have to buy a regular bed in a couple of years anyway.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:16 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My daughter is 17 months old and sometime this month I'm having a little boy. Her crib is a convertible and I was wondering the same thing...if we should put her in a toddler bed so that the new baby can have the crib.... I just don't know yet.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:14 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Thank You, we decided on getting her a toddler bed because it is low to the ground, and it was inexpensive - $60 at Toysrus. Her Papa bought it for her. Mainly because he bought her convertible crib because he wanted her to be able to use it through all 4 stages. But since she cant he wanted to get her the toddler bed.
    We put it together and the second it was in her room she climbed right in yelling BED BED BED so excited! When she got in, she layed down, said night night, and put her blanket on. But then she got up because she knew it wasnt bed time LoL

Hopefully we dont have to fight much with her. But if I do it wont be a change from our usual routine (She ALWAYS fights LoL) But maybe it will be different with her "Big girl Bed" ; )
    BelloItaliano

Answer by BelloItaliano at 6:08 PM on May. 3, 2009