• In the Spotlight:

Was being told "Don't be calling my parents about this" by my FIL wrong when he should know better?

I had to call someone about my child the other day. It was for emergenct mental services. My child kept going under a dangerous bridge and I thought of my child's safety.

After all was said/done, I called my in-laws and let them know it was getting worse and what I had done.

A few min. later, my FIL called and told me that to not call HIS parents and worry them. Because they WILL worry. I have NEVER done such a thing!! I am not THAT disrespectful. Especially of my hub's G-Parents.

He said "I know how YOU like to talk"...I have kept more secrets than most in the family! I know more crap than many of them. And never, EVER once have I "blabbed".

I am honestly hurt, feeling that they don't trust me as they claim that they do and feel that I will no longer let them know what is happening with THEIR G-Kids. Let them find out 2nd hand.

Was what my FIL told me on the phone the right or wrong thing to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• Maybe yes.... and maybe no..... since I don't know you, I can't tell if you have a good perspective on how you come across to people. And since I don't know them, I don't know how they will react to bad news delivered by you about the grand-kids....

If it were me that heard that, then I would do like you and stop sharing info with any of them.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:17 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I'd just keep your distance and let fil ego cool off this century or next. maybe he himself was having a bad day like you were. confide in your child's counselor or best friend instead. Hope your child gets better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I'm confused about why you called emergency mental services about your child, but that's irrelevant.
    But my grandmother is a worry wart. She worrys about everything and anything, and if I told her I was getting a mole removed, the whole family would think I was dying of cancer because she goes over the deep end and tells everyone what "she heard". Therefore, we don't tell her things that can be misconstrued into catastrophic! Don't sweat it.... he's just looking out for his mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on May. 3, 2009

• During that call, I kept quite calm and respectful. But I was seeing RED inside. I had to go to my room and cry. Like what I had to already do to possibly have to hospitalize my child for their safety wasn't bad enough.
    In fact, it may still come to that because my child is still having difficulty. But if it does happen, I refuse to call and let them know of it.

After all, I blab to everyone in the family (which I only know about half of or talk to, being that both sides are pretty big). <
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 3, 2009

• That last part got cut off....I was being sarcastic.

Also if I do call his G-Parents, it is always about POSITIVE things. And I mainly focus on THEM and how THEY are doing. If I do talk about the kids, it is always GOOD news.

And my FIL should know that by now. After all, his son and I have been together for nearly a decade.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on May. 3, 2009