how to potty train

i work at a daycare and im new to this setting.. the kids in my class are 2 1/2 to 3 years old and some of them are trained fully some are not.. there is one kid who is 3 and will be 4 this year and he refuses to even sit on the toilet.. he fights.. hes not motivated at all and he just wants to play all day.. he uses his pull up like a diaper and hes like a newborn baby because you have to change him all the time.. even his poopy pull ups.. when he does sit on the potty he doesnt use it.. he waits to go in the pul up and his mom says its the same actions with her also.. he refuses to go at home. i have to physically make him sit on the potty at school. when the other kids are happy to go.. hes the oldest one and the most onry im sorry to say.. i dont know what to do..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• My son used his pull ups as a diaper also. What worked for him was some REGULAR underwear. For the first few days, yes, you're going to be doing a ton of laundry (get at least 5 packs to start!) And you'll still be washing more pairs of underwear than you're used to for the first few weeks and more, BUT you'll wash fewer pairs of underwear than changing wet or soiled pull ups. I would suggest to the mom she get some underwear, and I'm sorry to say that you, at daycare, will probably do the most work, so be sure he's got quite a few changes of clothes on hand at first.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:53 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Have her buy a pair of plastic pants to put on over regular underwear. Pull ups are being used as a crutch. The nastier it feels and the more it smells the more embarrasing it will be for him and he'll stop that and sit on the potty like a big boy. Just suggest that to her. Nothing padded just a regular pair of plastic underpants to keep the leak in from ruining his clothes and the furniture and it actually feels nastier to the child too. Good luck. Thats a hard job!
    Anonymous

• Since he is not required to be in school at his age, I would ask the parent to keep him home so that she can properly train him. I sub for our local preschool and really wish that the teachers and admin. would hold to this rule. When one teacher has to lay a BIG kid down on the floor and wipe and change, this is awful. You could call the parent when her child is dirty and ask her to come and clean him. It seems like a parent wouldn't want to ask a teacher, who has a dozen other children to care for to have to stop and do the dirty work.

Ok, so I understand, she may work, but if she's home, she finds it easier for the local school system to take care of her child and she has no intention on going to the trouble herself. Sorry, but I get a little p/o'd at situations like this.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 5:50 PM on May. 3, 2009

• sounds as though he has a hard life at home. Like the parents have nothing to do with him, it is crazy for a child that age who is mentally there to not be potty trained. I would think he is doing it more for attention and suggest if he doesn't want to use the potty don't make him, because even though the attention is negitive you are still giving him a reaction. I know it is a day care and it is your responsibility to see he is cared for while in the facility but really he can't go to school not potty trained. I would have a face to face with the parent and see what they suggest. From the sounds of it sounds like they expect you to raise their child. Or he is being abused at home for soiling himself and is just afraid of the whole situation which in many cases takes a child longer to learn.

I would be very up set at the parent not the child.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 10:57 PM on May. 3, 2009