Is it too early for maternity clothes?

I am 12 weeks in 2 days and I am already filling out in my lower stomach and it's noticeable to others. I feel like this is really early to show. My pants don't fit anymore and if I try to wear them it hurts my stomach. Is it smart for me to invest in some maternity clothes now? I cannot wear my fiancee's basketball shorts everywhere.

kristinmj

Asked by kristinmj at 11:17 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Deff, I would say go for it:) Have fun & congrats
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I agree. Buy some comfy maternity pants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 3, 2009

• You might as well, it's not as if you won't need them! One trick I used was to take a rubber band (the kind for your hair works best) and loop it through the buttonhole on your jeans. Then just take the other end and loop it over the button. Ta-Da! An extra inch or two!
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:21 AM on May. 3, 2009

• i would maybe look into something elastic. i found things at walmart that had elastic waists - they werent even really maternity stuff, but fit more comfortably than my own clothes. with styles right now its easier to find stuff that you can wear after the baby. i didnt ever buy any maternity things though. i had a couple things bought for me but i survived in what i could find and comfy stuff.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:21 AM on May. 3, 2009

• It's not to early. I was wearing maternity clothes at 6 wks with my ds (second pregnancy) I looked about 5 months pregnant. I was overweight before I got pregnant but it rounded out at 6 wks. I also retained a lot of water in both my pregnancies. With m ds I measured big the whole pregnancy and they told me he would be about 8.5 lbs. He was 6lbs 13oz. Go ahead and invest in some maternity clothes. Your going to have enough going on with your body, you shouldn't have to be uncomfortable in your clothes.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:19 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Go ahead! It's better for the baby if you wear loose fitting clothing.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 12:20 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I was the same way at 12 weeks I really wasn't big enough for maternity yet but my normal stuff was too tight. Maternity stuff is ugly makes you look huge and is VERY expensive. Look in stores like Charlotte Russe and Forever 21 for shirt big baggy shirt are kinda in right now. Or Old Navy there regular dresses work because they are so strechy. The hair tie trick works wonders and will make your bottoms last a little longer.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 12:31 PM on May. 3, 2009

• If it makes you more comfortable then do it :)
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:31 PM on May. 3, 2009

• get you a bella band if you still want to wear your pants.or do the rubber band or hairbow through the button hole and loop it around the button.It works also.I did that the whole time with my daughter.But with this pregnancy I have been wearing maternity clothes since i was about 14 weeks.Its just more comfortable.So no is not too early
    brittoh

Answer by brittoh at 12:35 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Change your clothes when you feel like it. It is never too early if you are uncomfortable. Everyone's baby and belly will be different with this. I definitely agree with the belly band (Target, Motherhood, Bella, Etsy, there are a lot of options) and rubberband, though. I've done both, lol.
    SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 12:42 PM on May. 3, 2009