Catholic funeral...

*I really wish those who do no know the answer would just move past this post*
My cousin was married in the Catholic Church. He divorced and was not allowed to re marry in the Catholic Church and re married in an Assembly of God Church. When he dies will he be allowed to have a funeral in a Catholic Church? He has not had his first marriage annulled and I would be surprised if he would be approved for an annulment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I only know Catholic Religion is most most strict. A distant relative committed suicide and the priest came to the funeral home for prayer and to the cemetery but not allowed that service in the Church building. Depression from physical illness and mental illnesses are themselves illnesses. So I doubt a divorced 'former' nonpracticing Catholic could have an in Church Catholic funeral.

I've seen Catholic Churches that offer times to receive back those who have left because of divorce. Maybe read the websites or call offices of surrounding Catholic Churches.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on May. 3, 2009

• judging by my experiences with the Catholic church, I would have to guess that they won't let him back there for a funeral. All four of my grandparents had Catholic funerals but neither of my (divorced) parents did.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I highly doubt it. BUT if he wants a catholic funeral then maybe he can talk to someone in the church and see if there is a way to earn that back (not the appropriate phrasing but I can't think of an alternative)
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 1:45 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I've seen Catholic Churches that offer times to receive back those who have left because of divorce.

This. Also, my parents' marriage was never anulled and my mother had full mass at her funeral. She hadn't remarried, but she was still divorced and my father had. If he's concerned, he should call the deacon and see what the options are. The rules do vary by diocese. They're not supposed to, but they do.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:36 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Would he want a Catholic Funeral? If he still practices and goes to church, depending on the priest and how lenient he is, he may or may not let them do a Mass at his funeral. My uncle just passed away and he was divorced but never re-married. I have no idea if his divorce was annulled or not, though. He did attend church every Sunday. But his funeral was held at my grandmother's church- not the one he regularly attended. So I am sure they make exceptions. If he regularly goes to church, he'll just have to ask his priest. If he never attends church, it'd probably be harder to have a Cathlic funeral. Besides if its his wife giving him his funeral, she may feel more comfortable doing Assembly of God if thats her denomination.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 7:42 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Assembly of God is not her denomination, it is the Church that would marry them. They are both Catholic and are raising their kids Catholic (dont even get me started on that) he thinks he is having a Catholic funeral I was just wondering if he actually will. I know kids born to parents not married in the church are baptised I was just wondering if this would happen.
    Anonymous