What is the deal with this new no vaccination phenomenon?

I'm sure most of us have gotten that forwarded email that lists a lot of things thast were experienced in the past that are now looked down upon today.

In my opinion this is just another thing in the long list of things that we (in the past) experienced and lived through. Yet its not good enough for our children. I don't get it.

almostcrazee

Asked by almostcrazee at 11:49 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Health

• The only vaccine that I don't give my child is the flu shot because it contains Thimerosol and most doctors only carry the version that has it in it because it's cheaper. Thimerosol is mercury and I read a few years back that the amount that's in each shot is considered bad even for adults. The rest of the shots are pretty much mandatory whenever you enroll your child in school and daycare. I think that if this trend continues, we're going to be seeing more communicable diseases which I don't think is very smart. Why in the world wouldn't you vaccinate against the hepititis diseases? I don't want to offend anyone but in my opinion its socially irresponsible.
    smlb4ever

Answer by smlb4ever at 12:24 PM on May. 3, 2009

• It is not new.... its just new to you....

I first heard about it in 1999 when I was pregnant with my first. Mother Magazine did a whole article on it. I was shocked and had never heard of it before... but little did I know, I didn't know about it because I wasn't looking for the information before that. It was already a hot topic on the web then, and it still is a hot topic now....

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:52 AM on May. 3, 2009

• oh yeah..... "In my opinion this is just another thing in the long list of things that we (in the past) experienced and lived through. Yet its not good enough for our children. I don't get it."

if you do some research you'll find that MANY of the vaccines that were given in the 70's, 80's, and 90's have been pulled from the market because they were later found to be unsafe.

So basically, the vacines that you recieved as a child are not the same vaccines that they are giving  now.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:55 AM on May. 3, 2009

• No vaccine is a guarantee. It's on a "helpful hope" that it'll boost your immune system enough to fight off whatever disease you're exposed to. My son did get a disease after he was vaccinated against the same. Oh well. Just didn't work on him that time. But he's fine. The vaccinations that were around when I was young (I'm now 51) were very few. They were single dose vax, and basically safe. Probably only a handful of vax. When my 2 kids were growing, the number of "available" vax, doubled. I picked and chose which ones I was willing for them to have. And then, only single dose vax. Today, my understanding is that there are up to 30 that are available for children. That's way too many chemicals, etc, to pump into a child. And to save time and money, they don't usually use single dose vials anymore. Like anything else in parenting, you have to think, read, investigate, and choose.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:09 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Don't the schools require some vaccinations? I don't know about any 30 types of vaccines or whatever. I can't find her vaccination card, but I know my kid got the MMR, Tetanus, DT (no P), and maybe the Hep vac. She has never had any of the things she was vaccinated against, and she never had any reactions or side effects from them.

There is no need to be rude by telling people to "think, read, investigate. . ." or "to do some research". I just asked a question.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 12:16 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I think It's just because so many children have been diagnosed with autism and because there is no know cause, people have latched on to the idea that it is caused by vaccinations. It doesn't help that some hollywood people have made it their mission to spread the word, the "gospel according to them" that their child got autism from vaccinations and now others have decided not to vaccinate their children.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, I forgot about the autism argument. Everybody in my entire family have been vaccinated and none of us have it. They have no clue what causes autism, so it's not right to scare people when they don't know. That's messed up.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 12:30 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I know of several families who opted not to vaccinate and they have children with autism. Clearly it was not the cause of their child's autism. That tells me that either it's not the vaccines causing autism or it's not the only cause.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:48 PM on May. 3, 2009

• "There is no need to be rude by telling people to "think, read, investigate. . ." or "to do some research". I just asked a question."

No one has been rude... and its not rude to let someone know that there is more information out there, if they are so inclined to look at the data. If someone wants to bury their head in the sand and gets offended by the facts, then that is their problem.... you asked a question and you got honest answers (with facts pertinent to the answerer) deal with it...

Sorry that you are offended, but I've been doing my homeworkon this for many years. You apparently haven't done any research into it, otherwise you would know about some of the basics already and you wouldn't be offended at someones honest answer.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:50 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I thnk it's scary. I think that we don't see these diseases b/c of vaccines and when they do come back (they will) there's going to be a lot of sick/dying people.
    Anonymous