What should I cook for a wake after the vistation

My aunt passed and was cremated we have a visitation from 4-6 then after we are haveing a dinner. I was thinking something in the crockpot but what.

Ianmommy4

Asked by Ianmommy4 at 12:03 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• How about a nice hearty chicken and veggie soup? You can make it by cubing boneless skinless chicken breasts, and cooking it in boxed or canned chicken broth. To this you can add, diced celery, onions, and carrots. (I also add a bit of broccoli, and cauliflower). Cook that together and then add egg noodles to it. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. I add a bit of sharp cheddar cheese on the top of each bowl as well.

I too am sorry for your loss.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:26 PM on May. 3, 2009

• you could do a roast (with potatoes, carrots) or you could do a veggie stew, or chicken and dumplings, meatballs, bbq cocktail weenies,
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:07 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Italian Lentil & Squash Stew
    1.5 cups dried brown lentils, rinse in a strainer
    1 small butternut squash (1 1/4 lb.) peeled, seeded and cut in 1" chunks (about 3 cups)
    2 cups marinara sauce, jarred or homecooked
    8 ounces green beans ends trimmed and cut in half (2 cups) I use frozen chopped spinach
    1 medium bell pepper -- cored cut in 1" chunks
    1 large potato-peeled and cut in 1" chunks
    3/4 cup onion-chopped
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Mix lentils and 3 cups water in a 3-quart or larger slow-cooker. In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients except olive oil; place on lentils. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until the vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in the oil if desired. Serve in soup plates or bowls. If you have a newer crockpot, you may want to check it halfway to two-thirds of the way through cooking for doness. So check it between 4 and 6 hours

I am so sorry for your loss.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:09 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Make a pan of baked zitty or mac and cheese.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 12:09 PM on May. 3, 2009

• You can make a dessert like bread pudding, rice pudding, cobbler, etc.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/slowcooker/desserts.htm

My condolences go out to you and your family.

Anonymous

• With so many people trying to eat healthy, even though comfort food would seem so appropriate, I dont think you would go wrong with fresh veggies,maybe some fruit.
    Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 12:25 PM on May. 3, 2009