Gay!!

Hi my name is Jordan. I have seven children. Josh, Morgan, Ayden, Ian, Sam, Eli and Ashton. My oldest daughter Morgan won’t tell me what has been brothering her. She has been staying out almost an hour after the time she is supposed to be home and it’s been brothering me. One day I caw her walking down the street holding hands and kissing another girl. I have no problem with that my oldest son is gay, but Morgan will not come out and talk with me. I don’t know why she would feel scared because I did not have a problem with my son. How can I get her to talk to me and tell me what’s the matter!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• She'll talk when she is ready. I didn't tell my parents I was a lesbian until I was 25.
    Anonymous

• Maybe she's insecure about it. I'd just wait for her to come to you in her own time.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 12:29 PM on May. 3, 2009

• She will come to you when she is ready. She could just be experimenting, it could be nothing. Let her come to you. Just remind her that you are here for her at anytime for any reason.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:45 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I totally agree with tyfry7496 (above).

If you try to push her into talking, she will clam up because you are pestering her. Just let her go, she'll talk when she's ready. And since she knows she don't have a problem with her brother being gay, then she'll also know you won't have a problem with her. She may not be gay , and is just experimenting, but since she was so open about it (walking down the street kissing and holding hands) ...then maybe that's her way of coming out without having to actually talk about it.

Good luck with everything.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 5:46 PM on May. 3, 2009

• It's about HER, not about you. Keep that in mind. If and when she is ready to talk to you about whatever is going on, she will. That's a very personal part of her life and her growth as a person and probing her over it will only make it more stressful and less of a learning experience. She keep on loving on her and she will talk about it when she is ready.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:52 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I think I would just very casually say something to her along the lines of "you know, I saw you walking with ___ the other day. If you decide you want to talk, I'm here, and I'm ready to listen and not judge. I love you! SO - what do you all want for dinner - pizza or tacos?" lol - or something like that to change the subject so that she doesn't feel pressured to answer you, or feel like you're pushing her to open up before she's ready, but she knows that you've left that line of communication open when she's ready.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:51 AM on May. 4, 2009

• Its HER sexual orientation and its HER decision when she decides to tell you. Who knows, maybe she's not sure yet and she doesn't want you to think its just a phase she's going through. Maybe she's afraid you're going to think she's just copying her brother. Maybe she's afraid HE'll be upset with her. I have a few homosexuals in my family and then a cousin that's been with her "roommate" for years...and we all know they're partners but she just hasn't come out to us yet-she's 30. Anyway, good luck to her and you and I'm so happy that you're so supportive of it! Too many women decide to turn their back on their children because they don't understand the lifestyle. Props to you for being so awesome!
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 3:06 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I am a bit concerned with the fact that she is permitted to stay out past her due time without any discipline? Seems to me she will avoid talking only if she can, but I think in the long run, you best approach her as you are the mother, how much say she says is up to her, but I certainly wouldn't allow her to break family rules because she isn't talking.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 5:15 PM on May. 4, 2009