If I'm sweating, am I burning calories?

With my son needing my attention every second of the day, I never get to exercise, but with all the cleaning I do in this heat since my SO won't let me run the AC, I'm sweating to the point where it feels like I've been in the gym for a hour. Am I burning calories even though I'm not technically exercising?

Blueberryplz

Asked by Blueberryplz at 12:36 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Technically, you are exercising. If you are moving around then you are burning calories. Even when you sleep you burn calories. Just out of curiousity though, why will your SO not let your run the AC? You and your baby can be put in danger if you get too hot.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:41 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Yes, but mostly from sugar. To really lose weight you need to get into a workout routine, after you raise your heart rate and start doing longer slower paced stuff, and start toning muscle, you'll be burning fat, as long as there is extra fat to be burned. When your fat levels are what they should be, you are continuing to strengthen muscle and your lungs and heart. You will be better able to create younger healthier tissue and convert your calories to energy. One thing you can do if you don't have much time to work out or if you want to make your workouts a little more effective, browse through my website and learn about the cardiostrides, special shoes to increase your metabolism and workout level. It's a way to really work out your body all day long while you do your household stuff and chase after the kids! I've been wearing mine again and I'm see3ing some definitions chiseling away at my thighs www.nikken.com/1heart1mind
    1heart1mind

Answer by 1heart1mind at 12:51 PM on May. 3, 2009

• If you are breathing, then you are burning calories.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:08 PM on May. 3, 2009

• When you move thru your day, you definitely are burning calories. But sweating like you are saying is from heat. Sweating and burning hard core cal's is from your heart rate being raised. If you are sweating from heat, be sure you are keeping hydrated with pure clean water.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 5:43 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Absolutely!
    vintagechicken

Answer by vintagechicken at 7:10 PM on May. 3, 2009

• We don't have the money to pay the bills as it is, is why my SO won't let me turn it on, but he broke down to day && let me.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 4:43 PM on May. 4, 2009