Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of custody do I have?

My so and I were talking last night, and he assumed that we BOTH have the same amount of custody for our 11 month old daughter, although she lives with me (he doesn't live with me).

What kind of custody DO we have as an unmarried couple not living together? What are the different types of custody?


Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on May. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • are you together? or not? i personally wouldn't have one set up unless their starts being problems. if you guys can communicate well about things and share the expenses well it is sometimes easier not to deal with the courts.

    however you may want to document everything just in case things change.

    my SO and I live together. we have no need for a legal custody agreement. we share expenses even when it comes to my SKs. we work together. it doesn't matter who pays for what because its all OUR money. at least this is the way we have always looked at it.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 1:17 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • Do you have a legal custody agreement? If you don't, you should get one.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • Unmarried couples with children need to have a legal agreement in place that defines child care and expenses. Please do so now, before you start arguing about preschool and braces and religion.

    Answer by rkoloms at 1:05 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • OP

    No legal custody agreements...he says he doesn't want to go thru the courts

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • It's not about him. It's about your child! You need to get a legal custody agreement and child support!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • no legal papers means legally he has no rights ...
    you could eve call the cops on him and say i dont want him here just for example and if they ask if there is papers and you say no there isnt even anything they can do . legally its all you

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • Actually anon is wrong. No legal papers means he has equal rights. There's no papers filed stating you have sole custody. You need to draw up some papers

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • If a child lives with you the majority of the time or all the time your the primary parent. If he doesn't want to fight you in court for custody of the child than your fine. If he ever changed his mind, you would go to court and the judge depending on what's in the best interest of the child would give you both joint or shared custody and again it would depend on who could provide better for the child and as long as no one has a history of drug use or had criminal charges on them. They take alot of things into consideration.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • Hmmm...He doesn't want to involve the courts. So what is gonna stop him form taking off with your child or leaving with out a trace and no child support is ordered? He may be an awesome guy who would never do this but I would still want that security. Plus if you live in different school districts when she is school age she will have to have a permanent address and legal guardian to register. You can keep what ever you have agreed on the same as it is if you like it but I would get it on legal paper for everyone's safety.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on May. 3, 2009

  • OP: you must go to court and get custody and child support in writing, without it neither of you has custody. He could take your child and never come back and there is nothing you can do about it. I am unmarried (never married sons father) and I have legal SOLE custody. That means I am the only one who has decision making capabilites for my son. His father pays child support and is supposed to pay 1/2 of out of pocket medical and insurance but he doesn't. I determine visitation.

    Anytime a child is involoved you need to go through the courts to protect the child, yourself and the father.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:22 PM on May. 3, 2009