HELP PLEASE

Ok I know this is really stupid but, my dd will be three in July and she has NEVER been sick...i am lucky i know...So anyway she woke up this morning and i gave her some yogurt and about 5 mins later she started throwing up. I am a first time mom I have no car and no way of getting to the store....I know what I like when I am sick but, what is good to give a almost three year old??? Should i give her any food or just a little water or what should i do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is not stupid and you are very lucky. First, be sure that she rinses her mouth with water after she throws up; it gets the taste out and removes the acids from the teeth. After fifteen minutes, have her take a couple of sips of water; keeping her from getting dehydated is most important. She should take little sips of water every few minutes. When she goes an hour without throwing up, make her a piece of toast with a little honey on it. Cut it into quarters. Give her a quarter every half hour. When she can keep the toast down for an hour, she will be on the road to recoverd. Keep her foods light for the next day or two: broths, plain noodles or rice, cooked fruits.
    If she throws up for more that 36 hours, or becomes lethargic or listless, then get her to a doctor quickly, otherwise, keep her comfortable, keep lots of big containers nearby (throw-up cups) and good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 1:23 PM on May. 3, 2009

• thank you!!! do i need to give her anykind of medicine?
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't give her any medicine just yet. I'm not even sure if there's something you can give a toddler for vomiting. First response is awesome.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:34 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I agree, not stupid at all; stay away from dairy, ok?? Lots of liquids (gingerale, 7-up, water) in little sips...
    xo
    Love to you both.
    ShutterbugMama

Answer by ShutterbugMama at 2:10 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Per our pediatrician:

Give nothing for 2 hours after vomiting. (if she vomits again, the clock starts over) After 2 hours of no vomiting, give a couple ounces of water and wait for 10 minutes. If there is no more vomit, give a couple more ounces of water and wait another 10. No vomit, give 4oz and wait for 20 minutes. No vomit, repeat.

If after one hour there has been no vomiting, then give her a cup of water to let her sip at it as she can/wants to.

If she has not vomited after 6 hours, then you can give some bland food...start with a piece of PLAIN bread. Slowly introduce her regular diet, but be on the lookout for diarrhea. If that happens, then stick to only starches and carbs to bulk her up (and still give nothing but WATER to drink)

If at any time she vomits again, start over. The key is to let her stomach rest and get rid of the virus .
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:12 PM on May. 3, 2009

• He also said that carbonated or sugary drinks are not good for vomiting or diarrhea. That's why he recommended sticking to water.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:15 PM on May. 3, 2009

• thanks so much everyone
    Anonymous