HELP! Breastfeeding!

I am 36 weeks pregnant and wanted to know if it is a smart idea to start pumping now? If so, how long is the milk good in the fridge? If not, what are the consequences if I do so now?

Thanks for the help! I am a newbie and have no clue what so ever!

Allie

Allie120

Asked by Allie120 at 1:44 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no dont pump yet. the milk comes in as long as the baby is nursing from the tap. the milk will come in about a week after the baby (so you'll be producing colostrum for a while, but just a small tablespoons worth will fill the small tummy!), but you gotta stay dedicated to nursing around the clock! first few weeks is the hardest, but it will get better! it's usually best to pump around a month post partum, but if you are really engorged and the baby is asleep you can pump to relieve yourself, and store it in the fridge or freezer and use it within a month!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:51 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Awesome!!! Thanks for answering! Helped me out a lot...glad I didnt waste my time and think the darn Medela machine wasnt working. Haha! I will take your advice to heart:)

Have a great day!
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 1:56 PM on May. 3, 2009