Why did you decide to stop having children?

For those of you that are done having children, why did you decide it was time to stop? More personal time, overpopulation, physical reasons? I'm just curious what everyone's decisions were. Thanks!

Liz_24

Asked by Liz_24 at 1:50 PM on May. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would love to have one more child since my son is an only but my husband decided to get fixed. The only way that it would be possible is if we divorced and I met someone else.
    Anonymous

• I had my daughter at 35; had miscarriages at 38 and 39. Decided to stop then.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:04 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My husband went and had a vasectomy. That was my first clue we weren't having any more.
    Anonymous

• We decided that 3 was plenty and we wanted to be able to give them everything they need. With college, cars, etc it would be irresponsibile to spread ourselves so thin, and it wouldn't be fair to our boys.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:23 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I have decided to stop having kids because I developed depression with my 3rd pregnancy. DH has a hard time accepting how I feel sometimes and therefore is not the most supportive or helpful. He has become less invloved and knowledgable of everyday tasks and activities. I feel that my 3 kids are more than enough for me to handle. He loves the kids very much and helps out a bit , he's a wonderful provider but is just not there on the day to day part of raising the kids.
    He wants more, I'd love to have more but just can't get him to see my point. I felt that 2 were enough at one time and we ahd a 3rd and I feel that 3 are enough. I good with my decision.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:25 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My husband lost his job at about the time we were ready to try for a second. By the time he was secure in a new job, we decided the time was well past. I was 40 but it wasn't so much an age thing as a resources issue. We wouldn't have been able to afford additional child care, and my parents were getting too old to help. Me staying home wasn't an option either financially or psychologically (I tried it and HATED it)...so we decided we were done.

As it happens, it's the best choice we could have made. Our son has Asperger's Syndrome, and we are at our limit with him. An additional child would have been shortchanged tremendously.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:25 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I decided not to have a third one cause i was diagnosed with Remotoid Arthrightist and the doctor advised me not to have anymore children.
    Katz25

Answer by Katz25 at 3:34 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I don't know if I could handle another child w/out sacrificing time w/ my DD. I had serious sibling issues & never want DD to go through that. I hated the depressing hormones, discomfort, physical imitations, & weight of pregnancy. I have a fear of modern maternity care. My birth plan was tossed out & I felt very betrayed. I can't work away from home & keep my sanity knowing I'm not the one raising my baby. So another means I can't work for another few years. That's more people on a smaller income. I don't have a problem with moms with multiple fathers of children. But a lot of society does and I'm afraid the negativity would rub off on my kids. (I left my DD's bio-dad, so any future children will be with hubby) If I had another, it wouldn't look much like my DD and that would raise question. I'd like to have my own animal shelter and don't think I could effectively run one with multiple children. So I have lots of reasons.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:46 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Good question. I feel my daughter deserves as much attention (or at least close to and within certain limits) as she wants. As a SAHM I need to have the time and energy to be sure she is getting the best I can give. We are expecting one more in October and I am having my tubes tied. Two is a great number for us, they'll have a sibling to learn things from and I won't be so tired from trying to be SuperMom that our relationship gets messed up.
    Plus there is the financial aspect. While we can afford more kids, I'd rather have less and be able to provide them with more. I want to be able to have family ice cream nights, and buy my daughter a new book without thinking about the budget. I want to buy the best diapers for my children, and take them awesome places. How can I do that with a huge brood?
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 5:06 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I have had three and delivered early and don't want that experience of NICU again even though things turned out great. My husband got a vasectomy which he wasn't to happy about but I didn't see him big, fat and pregnant three times. For me, three is all I can handle.
    hsnurse

Answer by hsnurse at 5:17 PM on May. 3, 2009