A little dilemma.

Okay, my daughters birthday is May 5 she'll be 9. A little girl from school has been wanting a sleepover so what a perfect opportunity for this to happen. I have never met her parents before. I suggested we meet at a local park on Wed. I think mom is a SAHM. I work full time but thats neither here nor there. I have a tough time meeting new people and making friends though I desparately would like some. I tend to put my foot in my mouth. I say what ever pops in my head and I am brutely honest but come across as mean. On top of this I am an older mom 47 so I find this awkward. How do I break the ice without embarassing me and DD and make a friend at the same time?

twilite2000

Asked by twilite2000 at 1:56 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would say just start with small talk, find out what her and her hubby do for a living, tell her what you and yours do for work, talk about things like how long you've lived in the area, talk about your daughters interests, just general questions and small talk. Don't bring up controversial topics like politics, money, religion, etc for sure until you are more comfortable. There is nothing wrong with being brutally honest lol, most of my friends are and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you say something you think offends her, just say a quick apology like "I'm sorry, that came out wrong. I am just a very honest person to a fault at times". It works.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:36 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My son's birthday is the 5th also,so tell her happy birthday from Bergen! He'll be 8.As for your problem,just keep the conversation to weather,school,and local things,like sports.Wait with the personal stuff to see if these are people you WANT to be friends with.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:40 PM on May. 3, 2009