How many steps should we walk on an average day?

I bought a pedometer awhile back. I have never taken it out of the box. However I want to start using it. Not real sure how many steps the average person takes a day. Or how many steps should we add a day to start taking off weight. Please help. Any tips on what has helped other people?

KarenL026

Asked by KarenL026 at 2:22 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• i think its 500
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:23 PM on May. 3, 2009

• 2000 steps equals one mile. They recommend 12,000 to 15,000 steps per day for weight loss. I looked that up. Now I am going to go out and buy one! LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:30 PM on May. 3, 2009

• lol i was wrong :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:37 PM on May. 3, 2009

• 10,000 steps a day and holding to 1500 calories will definitely create weight loss. Check your ped. regularly during the day to make sure it doesn't shift and stop counting for you. The first couple of days, go about your day normally to see how steps you usually do. The next day, bump it up a thousand, and so on.

Checking it all during the day will motivate you to keep moving and not sit. Dance while you cook, step while you dry your hair, do steps back and forth while you wash dishes and jet around the house retrieving stuff and putting things away. Have fun with it.

There is a fat blaster burner 8 min. video on Prevention you can download to your computer. It gives me between 1400 to 1800 steps in 8 min. and gets your heart rate up. Keep us posted on your progress. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 5:39 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Thank all of you for the help!! Now I just need to stick to it!! Thanks again!
    KarenL026

Answer by KarenL026 at 8:00 PM on May. 3, 2009

• 5,000
    jenniek510

Answer by jenniek510 at 11:32 PM on May. 3, 2009