Clothe Diapers... Any tips?

Hi ladies I'm a mamma to 18 mo old twin boys and i just started the whole clothe diaper thing and really enjoy it more then disposables but have been having some issues ... lots of leaks! anyways i was hoping you might have some tips to share

mirit.rose

Asked by mirit.rose at 2:27 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are multiple reasons why you could be having leaks. 1. the diapers might need to be stripped. You can check www.jilliansdrawers.com on stripping methods. 2. Not a proper fit, 3. Compression leaks. 4. Not a proper diaper cover. 5. Not changing often enough. Unlike sposies, you need to change cloth more often. No matter the cloth, you always have to have a GREAT cover. Otherwise you will always have leaks. I have used nearly every type and brand of cloth diapers. Or at least a decent about of name brand, vs WAHM brands. Not to mention my own I have made. Why dont you share more details, and I can possibly better help you. Good luck ~Heather

Hottiehp21

Answer by Hottiehp21 at 3:59 PM on May. 3, 2009

• What cloth have you been using? Are they maybe too big? How often do you change? I've bought several different brands and types of diapers for my DD and some are better then other's.
    Also how do you wash them? They may have detergent build up. Put them in on a few rinse cycles with no detergent.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:32 PM on May. 3, 2009

• you may need more absorbency. I take a pre-fold and fold it long ways to do that. if you have a smaller size pre-fold they have out-grown those work perfectly inside. or just pick up a cheap package of pre-folds from walmart.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 2:34 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Are you using vinyl pants along with the cloth diaper?

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Plastic-Pants-Months-pairs/dp/B000KQ5MCU

Anonymous

• I only used prefolds since they were readily available, but found pockets to be very absorbant! I stuffed them with prefolds and terry cloth. the prefolds I had were gerber and they suck lol not intended to be a pun...they suck as in "arent good" lol but there are good ones out there, chinese and indian prefolds are very absorbant. wool covers with fitteds work well with absorbancy too
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:58 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Are you using a diaper safe detergent? That's the leading cause of cd leak problems! (well that and crappy gerber prefolds and vinyl pants). You might also need to strip your diapers. Check out pinstripesandpolkadots.com for great cding tips! Also there is the cuties with cloth booties here on cafemom.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 4:00 PM on May. 3, 2009