• In the Spotlight:

My son is 17 months old can anyone tell me some activities that you do with your kids during the day to keep them occupied?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 2:31 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• drawing with chalk, crayons or pens. also painting has been fun.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 2:36 PM on May. 3, 2009

• running in short spurts, ball rolling, stacking, matching, playing "bowling" set empty 2 ltr. bottles up and have your kiddo use a ball to bowl over the "pins". Finger painting with chocolate/vanilla pudding this is very messy but the kids love it and you can do it right before bath time.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:37 PM on May. 3, 2009

• You can always have him help you clean, sing songs, dance with him, go for walks, to the park, paint, color, cook.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:46 PM on May. 3, 2009

• inside: we read a lot, play with play-dough (homemade), play with blocks and legos, listen and dance to music, make music with toy instruments, draw and color with washable markers, play with toy trucks/trains/cars

outside: paint with finger paints, play with a ball outside, play with water (water the garden with a small watering can, "paint" the driveway with a paint roller or paintbrush dipped in water, wash toys), play with sidewalk chalk, walk/ride on tricycle around the neighborhood, blow bubbles

we also go out everyday (playground, beach, zoo, state park). i find it's much easier to get through the day if we spend a few hours out of the house.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 2:51 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Well I work for a headstart program (i'm in Alabama) but I'm sure there is a program like this in your area. We provide (free to low-income qualifying parent(s) ) a safe environment where your child is cared for and they get to be around other children. I'm in the Early headstart program as a teacher assistant and I totally think that it gives the parent some time to themselves, (which we all need) and a chance for your newborn 3wks-3yrs old to gain social skills in a nurturing environment. We provide breakfast and lunch, nap-time and outside and gym time. The program is from 7:45am-1pm. Parents can volunteer anytime and stay in the childs class and overall it is a great way to get a headstart for your child and keep them learning and occupied. I am a strong advocate for Headstart, because I've had both mine through it and the things they got and are still getting from the program are going to last them a lifetime.
    fantasitcmama1

Answer by fantasitcmama1 at 2:54 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Get out of the house! Take long walks around your neighborhood. Take a bus or train to another part of your city. Go to parks, go to museums. Your local library probably has weekly events for kids - go to them and also check out a new book every week. Read books. Color pictures. Cook (get a kids cookbook at the library; we love Pretend Soup). Have picnics. Go to a senior center and visit with the elderly.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:57 PM on May. 3, 2009

• my daughter is 17 months old and I'm 36 weeks pregnant. i take her out to the park for walks with our dogs, go over my parents and in-law's house, i mostly teach her all day long (alphabet, numbers, etc) i'm always SINGING to her and READING to her, she loves to DANCE to music. We color in a coloring book. she has that fisher price pony with educational interactive video which she absolutely loves. i used to be a preschool teacher so i incorporate things like sign language and such in her day. she likes watching Zaboomafoo, Mrs. Spider Patch, Wonder Pets and an Elmo goes to Grouchland Movie. We've been to the Zoo, Aquarium, Mall and even the movie theater. I went to Target yesterday and saw a sensory table that you fill with water, I want to get that for her, it will be nice to play with for the summer. She will soon have a baby brother (sometime this month) and before we know it, they will entertain each other.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:09 PM on May. 3, 2009