Do you think people's ability to spell is directly connected to their ability to parent?

I often think so. Especially when the WHOLE post is misspelled. It makes me think they don't value education or their child getting an education and making something out of them self.

I hope you don't mind that I borrowed this question Sarah!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on May. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• i understand the frustration because some posts i have read are just frustrating because they sound so uneducated. and its not just spell check. there are other things. i dont know that they are a bad parent, but generally the posts that are this way are questions that scream immaturity in their content as well.

you do not have to be educated and spell well to be a good parent. but to be taken seriously you have to have some basics when asking questions on here. and if you can't get it right when writing, it makes me wonder about what listening to the person speak would be like.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you!
    Anonymous

• Sometimes I think that. When words are misspelled here and there, I just think they're typing fast, and thinking of way too much. But when every 3rd word is wrong, throughout a whole paragraph....I can't help but think it's about intelligence...or lack thereof. What will this person be like as a parent? Well, I have no doubt at the ability and willingness to totally love and adore their child, but as you mention....what will the influence towards education be? Perhaps they'll realize that they didn't take it seriously, and they will push their child more? Who knows.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:54 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I completely agree, and it is so hard for me to not post a nasty message for it. It shows laziness, and like you said, they don't value education either.
    I mean, typos happen, but the whole post? Come on, go back to school.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 2:55 PM on May. 3, 2009

• No!

I have a good friend who is a great mom but her typing is terrible! If she takes her time to type out an email she can fix most of her errors, but she just doesn't take the time to do that... she's too busy taking care of her kids to worry much with how well she types.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:55 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I can agree with you on this. I understand some typos, it happens to everyone. When there is an obvious lack of correct spelling and grammar I assume the person is poorly educated and therefore poorly educated in parenting as well.

I know several people in real life who cannot spell and have atrocious grammar, and their parenting skills are also lacking. So maybe I am biased by personal experience.

Devory

Answer by Devory at 2:58 PM on May. 3, 2009

• So maybe I am biased by personal experience.

I guess I am biased too since I know several great moms that didn't finish top of their class, but they do a very good job raising their kids.

This also just brought to mind my Grandmother. She was raised in a time and place where kids were often pulled from school to work on the farm. She only had a 3rd grade education. My Dad (her son) went on to college and earned an engineering degree. She was a loving mother and grandmother and did a great job raising my father.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:04 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My DH can't spell worth a darn. However, he is capable of using the spell check button. I do wonder about people who can't grasp that.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:05 PM on May. 3, 2009

• no
    Anonymous

• My mother can't spell for %$^ but I turned out alright lol. I have a sneaking suspicion that she has some sort of undiagnosed learning disability though, as spelling is not the only educational area she is lacking in.
    Anonymous