Would it be easier to marry a person of different religion or race?

Reading some of the horrible double standards on cafemom I wonder if society would accept different race before different religion.

My family is mixed race and religion but I see more hate on cafemom from non Christians than IRL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You'll always see more hate on the computer, because people don't have to really stand up behind their words. They have keyboard balls, you know?
    Having gone through a relationship where we were both extremely opposing in religious beliefs...it was very very hard. Race would have been easier.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:55 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Both are easy. I am married to a person of a different race and religion. We are both just open and mature in our relationship, so it makes it amazing!

I don't care if society accepts it or not personally.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:56 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I agree with FireLass that race would be easier.
    Anonymous

• keyboard balls,

rolling on floor

Anonymous

• Itwould depend on the individual, there can be downsides to either of the two. I almost married an Ethiopian man, and he was somewhat abusive, controlling. Then again it can be just that individual, not all people from other countries are that way.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, the religion part is WAY WAY WAY easier than the race. No one makes mean remarks in public or stares or addresses you about your personal religion but they sure do when it comes to your racial differences.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 3:01 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I don't know from experience but it seems to me that it would be harder to marry someone of a different religion and although I do not judge those who do it, I would not. I have a strong faith of my own and I would not be able to be with someone who did not believe in it. If we had children I feel it would be a struggle on how to raise them. As for marrying someone of a different race, I personally would not go out looking for that type of relationship but if I happened to come across someone of another race who has a similar upbringing, similar lifestyle, similar beliefs values and morals, I would consider it.
    Anonymous

• I think it's cause race is something that can't be controlled. We can hate racial stereotypes, but in the end, there's no reason to dislike another race simply for being another race. Religion is totally different. It's about beliefs that people choose to have but can't be proven. There's no proof of God, Buddha, Satan, Jesus, Zeus, or whoever. So making rules based in these ideas can seem silly. Pushing these made rules like laws is where the hate starts. I'm with a man of another race. I don't see any reason not to be. But being with someone who thinks so differently cause of things that aren't fact can be challenging. He's pretty moderate all around. I wouldn't be able to stand being with someone who believed the bible is what we should live by or we'll go to hell. I'm an Atheist. The mindset is just too different with religion. While difference in race is just the shade of your skin.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:03 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My husband and I are both of different races, and religions. We don't have a problem with any aspect. We both, love, care, and respect each others differences. We raise our son to have an open mind and that everyone is different. When it comes to religion he will choose what he believes.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 3:11 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I am a Baptolic and I married a Muslim. So, what, he has his beliefs and I have mine. No problems, no issues.
    Anonymous