what to feed my son??

My son is 5 1/2 months old, and hes has been on baby food for over a month now, and cereal since he was 2 months. I was just wondering what else would be okay to feed him. He love gerber puffs, he gums them pretty well. I'm just trying to find a cheaper way than buying all that expensive baby food. Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• bananas! when they are ripe enough you can simply mash them with a fork, mix with breastmilk, formula, or just water and serve! same with kiwi and avacado. bananas and avacado are great first baby foods. same with sweet potato. steam the potatoes till they feel soft, cool down in a cold bowl of water, peel off the skin, puree in a blender/food processor, mix with the water used to steam or breastmilk and serve!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:22 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I make vegetable rice soup then mash it. My son loves it. It's easy, inexpensive, and my son loves it. He is a little older (8 mos) but i just use low sodium chicken broth, a little bit of rice, carrots, cellery, onions, asparagus, spinach, pretty much whatever else i have that he can eat, and boil it in the broth untill its nice and mushy.
    Anonymous

• I make most of my baby food. You can buy canned veggies, frozen or even fresh. I then steam them and puree them. The cost difference is amazing. I only buy baby food when it is on sale or there is a new food that we want to try before making a huge batch that she can't eat. Freeze what ever you have made and you will be set. One day devoted in the kitchen makes about a months worth of food.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:26 PM on May. 3, 2009

• one thing to make sure of, offer single foods first. wait a few days between each new food to watch for signs of food allergy. if the new food has a thumbs up, try a new food. and soon you can mix the foods together! an example: even little things like canned peaches, it usually has pear juice. if the baby hasnt tried pear yet, offer the pear first, then offer the canned peaches after a few days...
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:28 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Since he's only 5 months, he shouldn't be having any solids at all.
    BttrMom0407

Answer by BttrMom0407 at 3:37 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I was wondering how long it would take for someone to tell me I shouldn't be feeding him solids. My son is very healthy, and happy thank you. And he loves eating his food with us at the table instead of just sitting there wondering why hes being left out.
    Anonymous

• Frozen veggies are better than canned(because of the salt) but fresh is best
    Anonymous

• Oh don't worry honey, no one on here is a doctor and even then, they don't know better than you! If your child has lost the tongue reflex and is seriously eying your food, give it to him. As long as it's part of babies firsts food and mooshy enough, you're fine. :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:57 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Well hopefully when he is a grown man he doesn't develop a disease that has been attributed to feeding solids to early like obesity, diabetes, and other gastrointestinal problems. Babies don't think about 'left out'. They are studying you, watching you, and learning from you. They are not begging like a dog. He isn't digesting it anyways so WTF is the point? To stress his GI tract and cause him problems as an adult?

thanks mom for the diabetes!
    Anonymous

• LOL!!! you are too funny. I love how easy it is to make people think I'm the worst mom ever. Lets see, I got baby food at 5 months, so did my sis, and my hubby, and his family, and wow, we are all perfectly healthy! I can not believe I am actually sitting here having an argument with someone over the internet, now I feel like the child. Look, its almost dinner time, better go get my sons food ready. HAHA
    Anonymous