Infant swimming lessons

So it is going to be summer time soon and I was thinking about putting my son in swimming lessons. Hes 6 months now but I wouldnt really start until June, so he'll be 7 months. I was just wondering if any of you have done swimming lessons at that age? What were your experiences like? Do they really learn how to swim at that age or should I wait until he is older, like a year?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 3:30 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They do learn to dog paddle. The will not be an olympic swimmer by the end but the sooner you start the better. They have age groups and they keep moving up in the ages as they get older and they learn more and more. They teach them how to old their breath, how to kick and be comfortable in the water. They also teach them to go under. Our daughter has gone and will be 8 months on the 14th. its a nice peace of mind living beside the ocean to know if she did get near the water and knocked down she knows to hold her breath.
    Anonymous

• The today show did a ditty on this a couple years ago. Their expert said while kids might learn to float or doggie paddle, at a very young age they will not learn skills to save their life in the water (what to do if you fall in, how to get a toy out, or things like that) so many parents have a false sense of security around the water.  

I personally think swim lessons are just a waste of money until a child can ask to join the activity.

sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:57 PM on May. 3, 2009

• As a "get used to the water and have fun" activity, I think it's fine. But I agree with sk_tennyson... it gives parents a very false sense of security. I searched for a class when my daughter was tiny but couldn't find one - no one would teach a child under 3 years old simply because of the danger of the parent not being vigilant afterwards. Even the YMCA will not allow children under 8 to swim without a parent, even with a life guard on duty, even if the child has passed all of the Y's classes. There is no such thing as "drown proofing" at any age (even adults) and the younger the toddler, the less "drown proofed" they are.

Will taking one hurt your child? Certainly not. Just never forget that your child can NOT swim in an emergency and is just as likely as any child to inhale water if surprised or frightened.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:18 PM on May. 3, 2009

• the sooner they learn, the better. a friend of mine was swimming before he could walk...my DD will be starting in the next month. She is 8months. Usually place want them to be at least 6 months, but I have seen a couple that start at 3 months. I know yours is 6 but Im just saying. anyway, I think it would be great! Might be less scared now than when they are 1. Have fun!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:01 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I don't know what kind of classes your area offers, but the class I took my dd to when she was 6 months old was pretty pointless- I should have just taken her to the pool by myself....

I don't think babies can learn to swim....but it's a good idea to get them used to being in the water, so they don't develop a fear of it.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 6:25 PM on May. 3, 2009