my son is 17 months old...when he gets mad he spits, what can be done about this?

...if i or anyone else yells at him for doing something hes not supposed to or if his older brother (3) does something to him he will spit at us. i think spitting is the worst thing you can do its discusting and something needs to be done....any advice would be greatly appriciated!! thank you!!

decembermommy12

Asked by decembermommy12 at 3:34 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have found that in some ways it is just best to ignore what he does, yea it isn't easy, but that is the best thing I have found that works in some situations, not all but some. not much help sorry.
    Jssg86

Answer by Jssg86 at 8:18 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Spitting when mad is the worse thing from a 17 month old? I anti-up a 17 month old who hits when he gets mad.

What it comes down to is frustration over his lack of ability to communicate how he feels. So put the words out there. "YUCK! MAD MAD MAD! YUCK! MAD MAD MAD"

For my 17 month hitter it's, "MAD MAD MAD"

Putting words to his feelings and showing him I get it, You're mad. Very Mad. I also don't use the word Hitting. I'll tell him he hurts me (you could say that what he's doing is yucky.)

Also, learn where he's learned it from. Was it his brother? I figured the hitting for me started with high fives. So I make a concerted effort of no high-fives. He doesn't get it yet.

Hope it helps!
    Anonymous

• Beat him.....just kidding;) Have you tried time outs at all? I know it sounds lame, but sometimes they actually work. Make him stand or sit in the corner( Although I don't know how possible that would be for a 17 month old) or put him in his bed for 5 minutes and just ignore him. Then, go in and get him. Maybe if you do that every time he spits for a little while he'll get that you don't like it.
    Sophia_L

Answer by Sophia_L at 9:22 AM on May. 6, 2009