What to do with German Shepherd

I have a very large German Shepherd that we have had for a long time, we moved into a new, smaller house and now he can't come inside. I feel terrible that we can't find him another home, so that he can run and play, but we do take him for regular walks. I was wanting to know if any of you all had any suggestions on what I can do about this. My DH is very attached to this big guy, so I don't want to get rid of him, but it isn't fair to keep him in a pen or chained up. Help please.

baileyroberts

Asked by baileyroberts at 3:54 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Pets

• can you fence off a little bit of the yard just for him?
    we have a pit bull and we moved from a house with a huge fenced yard to a house with a small non-fenced yard. she does fine though.
    we leave the back door open sometimes for her and let her run in and out.

just give him time to adjust.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 4:02 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I've thought of that, but honestly at this point we cannot afford to put a fence up for him. He's such a good dog, but I don't trust him not to jump a fence if we had one too.
    baileyroberts

Answer by baileyroberts at 4:08 PM on May. 3, 2009

• just give him a small space outside, if he's older he won't need that much excercise.
    Anonymous

• You should never leave your dog outside chained. Dogs are pack animals and become very aggresive when chained all day. Please go to dogsdeservebetter.com. Look at this website and you will understand. Maybe they can help you rehome him. Please consider taking the dog inside. A lot of kids get mauled and killed from chain dogs. Also I hope this dog has shelter to keep him from the elements. Please if you cant tak e him in rehome him!
    Luckylady32807

Answer by Luckylady32807 at 11:09 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I agree with luckylady. I don't see why he can't be inside. I've known people with large dogs in small homes.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:13 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Try him in the house. Our house is 1480 square feet & we have 2 parents, 5 children, 1 cat, & 3 large dogs inside. We have a St Bernard, a Golden Retriever, and a Standard Poodle. Yeah, we get a little crowded at times, but we have a lot of fun!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:36 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I think you should let him inside. Or find him a new home. (not a shelter)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on May. 4, 2009

• i have a very big german shepherd.we have a smaller house and we keep him in the house and he does quit well.he doesnt seem to care.as long as he goes out once in a while hes happy.there family dogs they dont like to be out side alone for to long.call up german shepherd rescue and as long as he hasnt bite anyone they can place them.but he would be fine inside .i was watching animal channel the other night and they had something about german shepherd and they said you could even have one in an apt.but they do like to be with people and will get aggressive being out side all day.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 8:52 AM on May. 4, 2009

• If he's getting his walks then whats wrong with bringing him inside??They are pretty laid back dogs. If he's used to you I wouldn't find him a home for that reason....Who knows how he will be treated....he will adjust, but maybe just try bringing him in and see how he does. You can play with him outside, tire him out and bring him in...I could never leave my doggies outside.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:51 AM on May. 4, 2009

• I agree with raineydays377...they are social dogs and it will probably do good to bring him in with you. A lot of people assume that b/c I have 2 80lb. Pitbulls that they should be outside. but they have 4 beds thruout the house and their own sofa in the den...they would be heartbroken if I left them outside.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:53 AM on May. 4, 2009