Smelly bums?

I was just wondering. My sil had a cat and it's butt stunk. Really bad! She would baithe it, the cat was always cleaning itself like cats do and it's but stunk.
Anyone have a smelly butt animal?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 3:58 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Pets

• he might need his anal glands cleaned. that gives off an offensive fishy odor. bathing doesn't help.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 7:43 PM on May. 3, 2009

• No, but I have a friend that said she had to get rid of her cat because it got to fat to clean it's own butt.
    Anonymous

• MMMM Maybe it's not the right food. My cat has to have special food or she stinks and gets the runs.

but on the other hand, my butt is clean and probably would stink if i sniff it lol. butts stink.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 4:38 PM on May. 3, 2009

• my cat's butt stinks all the time I have never seen him clean himself, he lives outside though he doesn't like the heat in the house.
    Anonymous

• Ditto to MaMaLaLa369...it sounds like if he's licking it a lot then his anal glands might need to be "expressed"...they can do it at the vet or the groomers for like $10....they are supposed to "express" themselves when the animal poops but sometimes they need it done manually every few months....they can get infected if they don't get taken care of....if it's the anal glands it would be a fishy smell...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:00 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Have the vet express the cat's anal glands---or a groomer can do it as well if she'll take cats. Some won't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on May. 4, 2009

• NASTY!!!!!!! tell her to get rid of it..or somthing my gosh!
    Anonymous

• My dog was like that for a while. He had what we called "butt juice" (get it?)....reaalllllyyyy gross. No way in hell would we get rid of him though. We never found out what the problem was, lucky it went away on it's own.
    Anonymous

• Oh Anon 7:29 here..I should add that it WAS his anal glands and the vet kept expressing them but it wasn't working. He said they could do surgery but there was a good chance it would mess up his sphincter muscle and then my poor doggy wouldn't be able to control his bowels at all...so we left it alone!
    Anonymous