has any of ur kids had to get tube's in there ear's ?????

my son has had like 5 year infections, and now they are talking about getting tubes now for the problem. im worried bc they said that he is going to have to be a sleep while they do this

tifanyrae

Asked by tifanyrae at 4:02 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son had tubes put in when he was 9 months old. It wasn't bad on him at all. It only took about 15 minutes and then he stayed for an hour and we went home. He never acted like anything was hurting him. He has only had one ear infection since then and he's 3 now.
    DeeGillette

Answer by DeeGillette at 4:09 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I haven't but my brother did. My mom says that it was a life saver for both of them.

Yes, there are risks with general anesthesia but there are risks with constant infections too. First there is the awful strain on both of you, the constant pain and helplessness while you wait for the infection to go away. Second, there is the constant risk from the drugs if he's put on antibiotics - he could develop an allergy, all drugs have side effects (look up tetracycline's effects on children), and the long term effect on the bug population (look up MRSA). Third, there is the long term effect on his hearing, speech, and learning. Every time he has an infection, his hearing is blocked in that ear, his speech development suffers, and he loses ground in learning.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:12 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My daughter also had several ear infections. When she was 5, her dr. put tubes in and also took adenoids out. Said by taking adenoids out, she would probably never have to have tonsils removed. She is now 11 and has absolutely no problems whatsover. I would not worry a bit -- better to be put to sleep for a few minutes than to have to suffer through one ear infection after another.
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 5:29 PM on May. 3, 2009

• my son had them put in at 2........ those first 2 yrs were hell for us.... he use to get this nasty slim coming out his ear........ it was just gross..... when he was 5 they replaced his tubes .........he is now 17 and never had anymore problems with his ears
    chef_mama

Answer by chef_mama at 8:33 PM on May. 3, 2009

• After1 week of starting daycare at 16 months my daughter got sick for the first time. She had ear infection constantly for 3 months straight. No sooner when we would finish a round of antibiotics  she would get another, to the point of the last ear infection causing her ear to perforate. Her doctor suggested tubes and I was hesitant at first but after talking to the specialist and other mothers I went ahead with it.  I had not realized how much it was affecting her speech development.   It was a life saver. 

jjspringer

Answer by jjspringer at 1:19 AM on May. 4, 2009

• This one is a walk in the park. My DD had tubes, tonsils and adinoids removed and did fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:03 PM on May. 6, 2009