Heaven doesnt want me... hell is afraid I'll take over...

Do you ever feel this way?
I am a new christian.. well I say "new" but I gave my life to God about 4 years ago and have really been steady trying to change for about the last 3 years. But some days it is so hard for me to feel like I am making any progress.. I mean yes of course I see a change but some days the "old" me seems to want out! am I really changing?.. or just getting really good at stuffing the "real" me way down and simply presenting the "new" me for others to see?... I really dont want that.. I want to be a changed woman... not just good at controlling the "bad" one that is so easy for me to be. Any advise? please no bashing, I am just wondering if this is normal or if I am destined to be a "heathen"..lol

Tzutchka

Asked by Tzutchka at 4:03 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is good and bad within all of us - Fee will allows us to CONTROL that. SO you are going to feel tendencies - wanting to do things you shouldn't - but you block them and don't do them - that's YOU taking responsibility for it, that is YOU exercising your free will. You have to look at these things as tests, as obstacles set before you. Yes, you may want to do some of thses things, and you may feel bad for wanting to do them - but the fact is, you don't. Basically, you ARE controlling the bad girl inside you! Temptation is a part of life - every time you succeed in not allowing it to lead you astray - you should be patting yourself on the back, not kicking yourself because the desire was still there.
    TortisShell

Answer by TortisShell at 7:17 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I heard a sermon on the radio today about how God is the potter, and we are the clay. When there is a lump (or flaw) in the clay, He mashes the lump and starts over. He uses a knife to carve the clay (sinners around us, or bad things happening to/around us) to shape us and mold us how He wants us to be. Sometimes the process is very long and drawn out. We want to see the end product within a couple weeks or months, but in fact, God's work can/does take years and years. We're not a finished product yet! Just keep that in mind, honey. Who are we to question the Potter?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:35 PM on May. 3, 2009

• It takes time. It is a long process to reach full maturity in our faith. I had to learn this the hard way.
    I was told to be patient. Something I do need to work on. God bless.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 6:03 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I know that when I first started to study the Bible it took practice and forethought to do as I knew I should but I knew as time went by it would get easier and that I would come to see and act through the eyes of God, living by his view of us, He sees us as we CAN be when we put him first and we soon will see ourselves the same way. a friend of mine said to write down the fruits of the Spirit on paper and pick one to practice for a week then pick another, use a reference Bible to look up Scriptures that focus on that one fruit.
    Practice makes "almost" perfect!!! LOL
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 6:33 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Awesome way of putting it TortisShell!!!!
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 7:21 PM on May. 3, 2009

• It is a process that will last your whole life. If I were you I would do an in depth study on the book of Romans. Or at least chapters 7 and 8. You will see that the apostle Paul struggled with his sin nature too. It is a battle for all of us.

Just don't get discouraged and keep following Jesus. Abide in Him, (John15) and you will produce the fruit of righteousness. And when you sin, confess it quickly and move on.

God Bless you sister.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:42 PM on May. 3, 2009

• YOu will never feel like you are all the way there...whenever you start making progress the devil will bring you down. IMO.....anyway, just keep strong, when you feel weak is when you need to be the strongest =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:34 PM on May. 3, 2009

• PLease read my question before it si too late. You need to also pray and find a support group. If you have questions or need help anything I am more then willing and am here.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:05 PM on May. 3, 2009

• It saddens me that you are so unwilling to just be the person you are. I think Jesus would want you to be yourself and use your uniqueness for him. At any rate, don't worry. Once the brainwashing is complete, you will be a nearly-perfect, christ-like automaton.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:19 PM on May. 3, 2009

• First of all, please don't equate evil with heathens. :) Sometimes we take it personally, LOL.

What is it you're trying to make progress towards? Are you shooting for "perfection?" Do you truly know anyone that has acheived that? You do the best you can, be the best person you can and shoot for goals.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 12:57 PM on May. 4, 2009