Do you think you are a better parent then someone close to you?

Ok, my SIL is constantly telling me how rude her kids are or all their bad habits (they are 11 & 8) and when I ask her what she does to deter their behavior, she says "what can I do" (like there is nothing she can do...not asking advise) or says "I don't like when they get mad at me"

Then she will make comments about MY DD, like " I can't believe your DD does this, mine would never so that" ie.... clean up after herself, try new foods, put plates and cup in sink, clothes in the hamper...etc...and my DD is only 3. Not that I think she is a bad mom at all, there are some things I wish I could do more like her but, sometimes I think I am a better mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My dh's aunt has absolutely NO child experience and boy does it show with her daugher, L. L just turned 2 and they have absolutely NO control over her. She does what she wants, when she wants and eventhough they TRY to punish her she just looks at them and laughs. She hits her mom and scratches her but has NEVER tried that on me (I babysit her 5 days a week, 8 hours a day so she knows I don't play those games).she is so spoiled and bratty for her parents but I think it's funny cause when my dd was that age she took a toy away from L (who took it from her first but at 2 kids rarely use their words first, they just take back what was theirs)...I saw the whole thing and was just about to reprimand her for snatching it back instead of using words but dh's uncle said 'how rude, she should know how to share already' but now L just takes toys because she WANTS them and then refuses to give it back, karma is such a bitch sometimes lol
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 4:17 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Yup. My kid is way younger and knows way more than her kid, and its not a "devlopmental all kids are differnt kinda thing" its a she don't take no time out of her day to teach and help her kids.

She doensn't watch them either. They run all around, come to my house(alone) and like 20 mins later she'll come over looking for him.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 4:20 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Yep...
    Anonymous

• Oh , absolutely. A family member of my husband's is just terrible. Her son isn't at all well behaved, he's bratty, sneaky and doesn't listen at all. Her views of discipline are all wrong for him.You'd think she would try something new when her way hasn't worked, but no. She's very self absorbed, too. I doubt she cares.
    misfit_biscuit

Answer by misfit_biscuit at 5:12 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I try not to compate my parenting skills to my friends who have longer experience and also more than 1 kid. my son is only 1, and i'm a 1st timer so I still have a lot to learn. but before having my baby, I always hung out with them and saw how they handled their kids. I love my friend to death, but she is very militant to her children. she loves them, but sometimes I wondered if she really did. after seeing that I always knew if I ever was to have a child I would love him and never discipline him/her the way my friend did/does
    Anonymous

• I'm an older mom and my friends all think I'm a better parent than they are! I've been called a parenting guru and told to write a book since they all come to me for advice anyway (and those that take my advice find I am always right). Personally I just find parenting to be common sense and I know a lot of people in the world lack that so I guess I don't necessarily think I'm a "better" parent than anyone else, but I do feel I have more common sense than a lot of parents.
    Anonymous