Can a 5 y/o have BiPolar?

My SS has EXTREME behavior problems. I have tried everything, including bribing him. His BM has a history of mental issues and drug use while pregnant. He goes from a happy child to a crazy maniac child with the blink of an eye. He is angry, hateful and violent and can be the perfect child. I know he has attachment problems because of his BM passing him off to whoever would take him but, could he have BP too. If so, what can I do to help him. Not that it is your business but before you to tell me to let his parents deal with it, his mom is dead and dad is deployed. So, I am his only only parent.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 4:11 PM on May. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well I would say no, it is not typically diagnosed until late teens. I would however get him to a psychologist ASAP! He's five and has problems like that, you need to get them under control before he's out of control and you can't do anything to help him.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:18 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I would say no. He probably has some psychological issues, but no bi-polar. That is usually diagnosed in the late teens, early twenties. What he needs is a good psychologist or counselor. As he is exhibiting problems of disturbing behavioral problems.
    Anonymous

• I have to go the opposite way of the pp. I agree with them that it usually isn't diagnosed until teens or twenties, but that doesn't mean that's when it started. Often, it goes undiagnosed for yrs, even in people much older. I can't really say for sure if I think he has it, but I do think it would be a good idea to get him checked out. Whether it's that or something else, a dr. needs to be the one to diagnose him. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:50 PM on May. 3, 2009

• WHAT??? OMG you ppl. need to get caught up with the times. Research "childhood bipolar" ... There's a whole foundation for it! (Click here: Child and adolescent bipolar foundation) You're born with Bipolar. It's hereditary! It doesn't just develop in late teens! It's harder to diagnose in children and is usually mistaken for ADHD but it does exist. In the past they thought Bipolar was something that developed in teens and adults. It usually took up to 10 yrs. to get a proper diagnose for it too. But with advance diagnsotics they discovered many symptoms are apparent in younger children. The website can give you a lot more information! I'd defintiely visit a psychologist for an evaluation if you suspect it. Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't exist!

autumnsmommy02

Answer by autumnsmommy02 at 6:29 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Kids that age do get diagnosed with Bipolar, but many times the diagnosis is incorrect. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but there is a trend where doctors diagnose kids who don't respond to ADHD medication as Bipolar.

He needs to be evaluated by a specialist, not a pediatrician.  It also sounds like he needs counseling. 

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:24 PM on May. 3, 2009

• In addition to everything else this child is going through, I'm sure he misses both his mom and dad. He may also be scared to get too close to you, cuz you might go away too. This child has been through alot and should definitely see a counselor that can help him realize that you are a stable person in his life.

By all means, get him medically tested, but sometimes, acting out can be a way to push you away so he doesn't get hurt if you leave too. Be as loving and stable as you can, and help him learn to draw pictures for dad, talk to him on the phone, or skype on the computer.  Does he have other family nearby? grandparents, aunts, uncles cousins?  Even a clergy member that he recognizes as always being available?  It seems your son is in emotional pain, whether it's BP or not, and needs to get loving help.

HFBMOM

Answer by HFBMOM at 8:58 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I have had him for two years he knows I am not going anywhere. He didn't even know his mother. His problems go much further than acting out, I intend on taking him to a doctor but, we just moved and I haven't found my kids a new dr yet.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:49 PM on May. 4, 2009

• It definitely sounds like he is having emotional issues that need to be evaluated by a professional. I would start as soon as possible. If not, the behaviors may not just continue, but get much worse. He's had a hard life already, hope you can find him some help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on May. 11, 2009