demand to be induced?

I'm 38 weeks pregnant; I haven't been having contractions and my daughters fetal kick counts have fallen off; she moves maybe once a day if that. My doctor just checks her heart rate and looks at me like I'm bat shit crazy and says " she is fine". I am concerned cause something just doesn't feel right to me. Do I have the right to demand that they induce me? Can I call my doctors office before my next apt and tell them that I feel that something is wrong and I want to talk about being induced? Please help I dont know what to do any more; no one seems to care at the dr's office and all I keep hearing is to relax and be patient.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Here are some links to read through so you can be as informed as possible. The more you know, the more likely your doc is to listen to your arguments.
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_inducing-labor_173.bc?page=1
    http://www.expectantmothersguide.com/library/pittsburgh/EPGinduction.htm
    http://babykickalliance.org/kickCountFaq.asp

I hope everything is fine and remember to never let your doctor run over you. It's a partnership, not a dictatorship.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 4:33 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Demand an ultrasound. Have you tried drinking juice? Press on your stomach and see if she moves. I always think women should listen to their instincts but being induced isn't something to play around with. I don't know why you should be having contractions at 38 weeks. You could still have another month to go.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:22 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Have they done a sonogram? or hooked you up to a fetal monitor? If you want to be induced maybe try acupuncture...its natural and there are certain pts that can be used for induction. Sometime induction drugs can be dangerous to you and the baby. but I would ask to have a sono maybe.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 4:23 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Inducement may not be the answer, it is actually harder on the baby than regular non-induced labor. Keep in mind that inducement can have a lot of complications, so try not to go that road unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Ask your doctor for a BioPhysical Profile and Fetal Monitoring. Just checking the heart rate with a doppler is not always enough, fetal monitoring is where they hook you up to a machine (completely painless) and chart the baby's heart rate. A trained labor and delivery RN typically looks at it as does your OB. The BPP is a step up from a regular ultrasound. It takes about a half hour and looks for certain things and gives the baby a score which helps determine how well baby is doing. They look for movement, breathing signs (weird i know, but they do), amniotic fluid levels, etc.
    Also, remember that baby is losing room as she grows so she doesn't have as much room to kick around. I had the same issue.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 4:27 PM on May. 3, 2009

• They would have told you if something wasnt right so at this point I doubt any thing is wrong. You can always request a sono but you might end up paying for it out of pocket cause most inssurances only pay for two. And I told my doctor I wanted to be induced so that I could have my baby befor xmas and she said that was fine and we would do it at 39 weeks if I didnt go into labor befor then. Well at 38 weeks I started having minor labor pains and went in the L&D to be safe but It wasnt enough to put me in labor so I just asked if I could be induced that day and my obgyn said yes. However with our next baby Im not going to be induced unless Im pass 40 something weeks because I was being selfish and I think all babys should come out when there ready. What really changed my mind was after having this sweet little baby home for only one day I noticed his eyes were turning yellow and we ended up taking him back to the hospital for..
    Anonymous

• continued.... two very long nights cause he had really bad jondice. It was the hardest time in my life cause I had to sit there and look at my son cause I couldnt hold him or any thing, he just laid there with a mask over his face while they had billy lights on him. My husband and I had a few brake downs while we were in there and I feel like some of it was my fault that my baby was in there. I found out that jondice can develope for a couple of different reasons but one of them is that if the baby is born to early the liver might be under developed and that will cause jondice. So I would just chill out untill your baby is ready, he will be here soon and hopefully you wont have to go through what I did. GL
    Anonymous

• They wont induce you unless they fell theres a need to...near the end of pregnancy the baby has less room to move so it moves less...as long as it moves atleast once in 24 hours there shouldnt be anything to worry about if 24 hours goes by and your baby doesnt move then id go to the doctors but other then that theres no reason to stress
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 4:44 PM on May. 3, 2009

• if your really worried theres natural ways to induce labor like acupressure,nipple stimulation,orgasm,certain herbal remedies (but I wouldnt use these without talking to a physician)
    Anonymous

• my induction was a horrible night mare....
    Anonymous

• an induction can lead to a c-section as well, so just have that in the back of your mind. i would demand an ultrasound instead of an induction if I were you.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:55 PM on May. 3, 2009