Does mothers really think their teens are not having sex?

I was reading the post regarding the 13 year old's mother that just found out her son had sex for the first time. I am sure the mother was shocked and heart broken. Why do some mothers refuse to think that their kid could also be having sex and they don't know it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Probably because they figured they raised them to make the right choices.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:28 PM on May. 3, 2009

• You can teach your children something but that doens't mean they will follow that advice.
    Anonymous

• You hope, I hope mine will wait for marriage and I will do nothing (buying condoms/getting birthcontrol) to make it easier for him to have sex. If he does it before marriage and I find out, and he's still living in my house, then I will punish him. If he doen't live in my house and I find out, he'll know that I do not approve of it and that will be it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 4:35 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Kids are CURIOUS! And just because they have sex doesn't mean that they're bad kids or that the parents are bad. All you can do is make sure that they're informed of what can happen if they decide not to wait and that they know about safe sex. Heck, when I was a teenager it was usually the kids with the overprotective parents that started having sex earlier (and doing drugs). I started talking to my son about sex when he was 7, now he's 11 and I keep answering all of the questions that he comes up with (I would rather him come to me then get miss guided info from lord knows who) and keep stressing that it would be better to wait until he's older (by a LOT) to have sex, but if he chooses to not take my advice, at least make sure to be safe.
    blueyes581

Answer by blueyes581 at 4:41 PM on May. 3, 2009

• You took the words out of my mouth, Blueyes! All you can do is be there for your kids and educate them as much as possible. Eventually, they will have sex and they need to be able to protect themselves.
    misfit_biscuit

Answer by misfit_biscuit at 5:04 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Well, for one, a 13 year old has no business in a relationship to begin with, or alone with the opposite sex long enough to have sex. People are too worried about being intrusive in their kids lives and they stop parenting. You raise your kids to know right from wrong, to respect themselves, and to know that sex isnt something to take casually, and you'd be surprised at the number of kids that wait. My question is why do people assume they are going to do it anyway and help them be stupid?
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:14 PM on May. 3, 2009

• This morning, my son told me he was going to live with me forever, and he would never hate rules, even when he's a teenager, and he would always do as he's told because that's being good.

He's six. I give it 5 more years. I think too many people get hung up on their kid remaining the 6 year old, and don't want to let go of them doing things because they want to be good and make us happy.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:18 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Abbynzachsmommy do you really think that kids do everything their parents tell them to do? Yes, you can teach them what you believe to be right and wrong but in the end, they will do what they think is best for them. How do you know this 13 year old doesn't respect himself, if he is making straight A's then his mother must be doing something right, correct? I would assume you do not have a child that age or have not had one that age if you honestly believe they do not begin to want to be in some kind of relationship at that age.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 6:23 PM on May. 3, 2009

• For some it's ... Hope!
    For some ... It's easier to ignore reality than to face it.
    For the rest ... they live in some fantasy land where their kids really are perfect little angels! lol
    For Me ... I hope my kids wait longer than thier daddy! (Age 8) If I get my way they'll wait longer than me (age 16). Not going to bet my life on it though! I'll teach 'em what I can but it's their choice to make in the end.
    autumnsmommy02

Answer by autumnsmommy02 at 6:46 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Not every kid is so blatantly defiant of authority with no regard for their health and with no morals... way to set your standards so low.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 6:55 PM on May. 3, 2009