Has anyone ever taking antibiotics while nursing?

how did it effect your baby? My Ob has prescibed Augmentin for a possible breast infection and I'll also be taking Nystatin for baby and I for thrush...I'm so worried though that this is really going to effect my newborn :( My ob said its ok...but..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, and with no effect.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:29 PM on May. 3, 2009

• ya for a UTI.
    if ur dr perscribed it, it should be fine :) TONS of people take breast infection meds while nursing.
    Just dont take advil or asprin or anything like that. plain regular tylenol all the way :)
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 4:34 PM on May. 3, 2009

• It's fine. There are only a few approved for being taken with BFing, so just be sure to have your doc double check yours is ok. I personally wouldn't use the Nystatin unless you have actual signs of thrush. That stuff is gross and not the best thing for baby to ingest.
    I have taken Cephalexan while nursing as I had a section and was infected a million times. My daughter did not develop thrush nor did I have any yeast issues and I am prone to them.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 4:36 PM on May. 3, 2009

• it wont affect him...ive taken augmentin and amoxicillin for tonsillitis
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:50 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Yes, I had to take antibiotics lots of time while nursing. It is good that you are both getting the nystatin to prevent thrush! Don't worry about the nystatin, it is not really absorbed, it just kind of coats the insides and treats the thrush that way.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:16 PM on May. 3, 2009

• check www.kellymom.com for some good sites on what is okay while nursing a pregnant. I took Nystatin for myself and swabbed little ones mouth with it for thrush. I am curious why they are giving you both augmentin and nystatin at the same time though that seems a little odd. i was on augmentin for MY ear infection when my son was 6 months old and the doc said that some MAY pass in the milk, ,but it was the same med that my son would get if he had the ear infection. I made sure to give a probiotic while I was on both nystatin and augmentin to myself and babe.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:35 PM on May. 3, 2009