Should I worry?

My daughter is 7 1/2. She has always been on the small side (she is the same size as her 5 year old brother and weighs about 40lbs) but her eating habits have always been really good eating almost everything she has been offered. Recently she has seemed barely touch her food even her favorites. She isn't sick, she just doesnt seem to want to eat. When I ask her why she simply says she "doesn't want to explode" and wont say anything else. Is she afraid she is going to gain weight or is it something else? How should I handle this situation with her so that I dont give her the wrong ideas about healthy eating and food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on May. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is she losing weight or does she seem to be holding steady? If she's not losing, I'd give it a little while and see what happens...she might just not need to eat a lot right now. If she is losing weight or she continues like this for more than a couple of weeks, I'd maybe take her to the dr to make sure there's nothing wrong. I also "one more" my kids alot to try to get them to eat...I'll ask them to eat just one more bite until they really seem frustrated with me, usually 4-5 bites. I only do that if they've basically eaten nothing at all, or just a couple of bites. You could try that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:11 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Try to get her to drink smoothies: frozen blueberries, frozen banana chunks, soy milk or apple juice, yogurt (the real kind, with live cultures, that does not have gelatin or carageenan or other fillers), and kale or other greens; throw it in the blender or food processor.
    Get her involved in cooking. Go to the library and get a kids cookbook (we love Pretend Soup), or go to www.spatulatta.com.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:36 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Hmm....I wonder if she saw something on TV or someplace else that scared her into thinking she really might explode if she eats too much! Have you tried to sit her down when it's not mealtime and dig a little deeper into what her issue might be? If she really can't explain it or complains that it hurts to eat you should definitely get her to her doctor - he/she should be able to tell you if it's a medical issue or a psychological one... good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:40 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I'd make sure it's not a medical problem. My friend's son said something similar to her about eating for two days before she had to rush to the ER for his appendix...
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 6:50 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I would not push her to eat too hard b/c then it will become a control thing. I like the smoothie idea and the just keeping an eye for a bit. She may just not need much food right now. You can maybe tell her its concerning you that she doesn't seem to be eating enough to be nutritious and see if she'll open up about some idea. Also maybe some mom/daughter nutrition/cooking classes may be fun.
    but it could be one of those growing things too, when they are just not hungry.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:45 PM on May. 3, 2009