How to decorate my china cabinet?

I bought a china cabinet but I don't know what to put in it. any help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• My china cabinet has built in lighting and 2 glass shelves with mirror back, and so I have my formal wedding china/place settings displayed along the back top and middle shelves. In the center middle I have a replica of my wedding bouquet, our toasting flutes, cake serving set, and small Lenox framed picture of one of our favorite wedding pictures. On the lower left and right sections, I have personalized silver keepsakes and bronzed shoes of our two children! I then interspersed some fine crystal pieces throughout the cabinet in mini "collections" of 2 or 3 groupings--like crystal stemware, special family heirlooms, bone china pieces, etc.

I think it's best to keep the display portion simple, yet elegant. Since your cabinet will be in a formal room, it's nice to keep a few interesting "conversational" pieces for when you entertain guests--but keep them within the same degree of formality as the rest of your decor!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:27 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Normally a few decorative plates, cups and bowls. Then you can fill it with anything you want. We have a large water basin, in ours, some bells that we collected from traveling, and a tea set. A few other glass nick nacks that are just for decoration. They are great for things you don't feel like dusting all the time, but want to display.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:07 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Just about anything your imagination comes up with. Photos, a collection, pieces you collected from around the world, unusual dishware, formal dishware, etc.

I have a country style hutch made of wood. The doors on each side up top have a glass front and the bottom doors on each side have a heart cutout with chicken wire to cover the openings.

I use my hutch for my crystal, seasonal dishes, table linens, candle holders, etc. The base of the hutch currently has ivy leaves lying along the back and a bowl & pitcher in the center. I change it either with the seasons, holidays, or when I am in the mood for a change.

Go around your home, collect things in your arms, and put them on your new hutch to try them out and see if they go well. Use your imagination and creativity. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:53 PM on May. 4, 2009