How much notice does a landlord have to give you before showing your property you are living in if you have given your month notice?

Mine tells me theres going to be showing 15-30 minutes before!!! IT BUGS THE CRAP OUT OF ME! can she do this or does she need to give me more notice?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 5:41 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I'm not sure. I think it varies depending on your state. It seems I've heard of somewhere where they didn't even have to tell the tenant, that it was written into the lease that once notice was given, they could show the property anytime, with or without notice, within reason of course, you know, no middle of the night showings or whatever. Why don't you ask her if she could give you a little more notice, so you can make sure the place is straightened up, or that all your boxes are out of the way or whatever? Make her think she's doing you a favor, maybe she'll work with you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:44 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I don't think there's a definite amount of time. We've been looking at rental properties and some of them were not vacant and their landlord gave them a 2 hour notice so that they had time to pick up and leave. Sorry your landlord isn't giving you much time. At least you will be out of there soon!!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 5:45 PM on May. 3, 2009

• This may be spelled out in your lease, or may be determined by the city or state. Start with your city hall, or perhaps your town has a tenants' rights office.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 PM on May. 3, 2009

• It should be in your lease. When we moved, we had to give two months notice. Our landlord would call the morning of or even just say tomorrow I have 5 or so showings of your apartment. We didn't have to leave or anything and our apartment was a mess because we were packing.
    Anonymous

• No requirement of this, unless stated in the lease. If you knew he was going to sell it, you should have requested notice prior to showings. He owns the property, not you.
    Anonymous

• In oregon we use to give 24 hour notice to tenants at our apartment complex we managed. This was tenants that still lived their, that hadnt gave notice.
    Wow2boyz

Answer by Wow2boyz at 7:10 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Most places have to give 24 hour notice from. Everywhere I have ever rented had to give 24 hour notice before entering your home.
    Mama2Mikey

Answer by Mama2Mikey at 9:58 PM on May. 3, 2009

• in my lease it says 24 hour notice for anything showing/ just enetering. dosent mean he does but im home all day but it dose say 24 hours. talk to your landlord and say u need 24 hours notice just so u can strighten up least they could do...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:06 AM on May. 4, 2009