Having a very hard time potty training my little boy who will be 3 in June....anyone out there have any helpful advice on how to get him to go????

He will tell you he has to go so we sit him on the potty and nothing - put the pull up back on and he goes - why is that??? we offer him treats, prizes and still he won't go - i have to get him potty trained or else he won't get to move up in his class - he sometimes goes for his teacher at school but we need to know who to motivate him to WANT to be a "big" boy....HELP!!!

bahama_mamma03

Asked by bahama_mamma03 at 6:07 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What if you just put him in underwear? Perhaps he wouldn't like the wet feeling and would start to go in the potty?
    Anonymous

• Put him in underwear and see if he continues to have accidents. He just may not be ready. My daughter was in diapers until she was four, she actually started reading first.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:20 PM on May. 3, 2009

• let him sit on the potty with the pullup on. i'm having the exact same issue with my son, but i've noticed these past few days he'll sit on the potty with his pullup on and go. maybe it's cuz he's not used to the air, he's used to something right there to catch it, he doesn't understand the potty will catch it. gradually get him to take it off. as for at school, he probly goes for his teacher cuz he sees all the other kids doing it. maybe you can sit on the potty next to him when he has to go? that could work too...GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:25 PM on May. 3, 2009

• oh or you can just have him run around naked.
    armywife43

• wow, i cant imagin what you ladies are going through. Potty training was actually a breeze for me. But i have a girl, i heard they're a lil easier. Bt ill share anyway.
    1 tip i got from a male friend f mine who has boys would be to take them to the bathroom with you, but since us mommy's cant show him like daddy... simply use a small water gun to teach him to aim into the toilet.
    It seems that getting him to go at all is the problem. well i would say at 3 he more than like knows whn he has to go (just wont). this could be a pain at first, but try cutting out diapers during the day for as long as you can. Buy undies w/ fav characters (he wont want 2 dirty them) . Also, praise him if he does go, tell him thats how thebig boys do it. have you tried the small toilet seats that go on the real seat. that's gotta make him feel like a big boy.
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 6:37 PM on May. 3, 2009

• lol, i wasnt done.
    Another thing... dont always wait until he says he's gotta go. Jus send him to do his bizzness, keep sending him every 15 min or so. eventually somethings gonna happen.
    There will be accidents but hey, we gotta take the good with the bad. And pls, pls pls dont meake him feel bad about a slip up or 2... things happen.

Gud Luk
    StarrCooKie

• My son was 3 and just would NOT potty train. Finally when he would start dancing around I would grab a book or magazine and I would have him sit there until he went. He was peeing on his own fine but would always want a diaper to poop. So it took like 1hr 45 min of him sitting on the toilet the first time and the time got shorter and shorter. After 3 days he started wanting to be alone in the bathroom. and he was fine after that. Now my daughter is two and we are starting on her.
    Sproutmommy

Answer by Sproutmommy at 6:51 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My son will be three in June too. We haven't actually started potty training other than talking about pooping and peeing on the potty. I don't work over the summer so we'll be PT'ing then. I will initially use pull-ups, but I found with my other boys that moving to underwear was the best bet, it felt wetter and more uncomfortable. Plus for peeing we never did sitting down. They stood and we'd put a few cheerios or fruit lops in the toilet and they'd try to "sink" them. It made it fun and helped with their aim. As for pooping, that was the hard part for us, it took longer but eventually they got it. Good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:23 PM on May. 3, 2009

• put cheerios in the toilet and have him "sink the boat" totally works
    sxyliljoker19

Answer by sxyliljoker19 at 7:38 PM on May. 3, 2009

• does he watch daddy use the bathroom? my son is potty training right now and he feels more inclined to go potty after he watches daddy potty. maybe it has something to do with the whole male bonding thing or something. i am also making him "try" at the potty every few hours hopefully that will take soon.
    lostNlove

Answer by lostNlove at 8:00 PM on May. 3, 2009