Nursing with a sling

I am pregnant with #3. I nursed my first two for a little while and would like to also try to nurse this baby. I say try because both of my boys ended up on soy so we will see what this baby does. Anyway, I am a little apprehensive because my boys are only 1 and 2. I feel like I am going to have to ignore or make them wait all the time if I have to take time to sit down and nurse the baby all day. I never tried nursing with a sling and thought maybe if I could figure that out it might be the answer to my problems. Besides ending up on soy, my boys were very easy to nurse and caught on right away. We had no other problems. I am hoping this baby will be just as easy. How hard is it to use a sling and what sling does anyone suggest? I find some slings difficult to use as well because I am short.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Learning to nurse this baby "on the go" and avoid bottles will be a real lifesaver with two toddlers! First, get some help if Dr. says you can't breastfeed, baby needs soy. A baby who can't have diary can have breastmilk, needed soy is almost never a reason to wean.
    My boys are 17 months apart, my second one lived in a sling the first year! This biggest thing is to practice! Find what works for you. With practice you will earn to nurse while walking around etc. with or w/o a sling.
    I learned a lot about using a sling at my local La Leche League meeting. That is a great place to learn about that, and how other moms handled it with little ones close together.
    Go to llli.org to find your local group.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:21 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I personally like the mobywrap, it's more comfortable, it is more secure and I just like it better. Some targets sell them but you can buy them online, too.

As far as keeping the boys busy, I put together bags of toys for the kids that they could only play with when I was busy with the baby, so they'd be special toys. I also made sure I had a little "nest" set up where I would nurse the baby, it would have snacks, water, books, etc. Add some things for the boys, too. Best of luck. I have 3 kids and only my 3rd is breastfed and we're still going strong, so it doesn't mean you can't do it this time. Best of luck. Oh, I also suggest joining your local LLL group so you have a support system in place for information and support if you run into any trouble.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 6:23 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I suggest a Moby wrap. They are kind of a heavy material so get it in a light color so baby isn't sweating her bum off!! Also, perfect breastfeeding with the child BEFORE starting with a sling, it'll make it muuuuuch easier
    AriMicSun

Answer by AriMicSun at 6:59 PM on May. 3, 2009