how do i straighten up my daughter who is only 7

she says nasty things and says mean things to people. she has a I don't care attitude. spankings, taking away things, nothing seems to work. what can i do? i want a good girl.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My suggestion would be check out her school. Is she being bullied at school? Does she have friends at school and what type of kids are they? Also a church youth group may help her find a positive focus even if your family is not particularly religious. Children in youth groups often get to experience helping others such as food drives etc that makes them feel good about themselves. Also if there is bullying and / or unsuitable friends at school having friends within a church group would be a benefit for her. Hope this helps.

aubrianasangel

Answer by aubrianasangel at 9:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Does she have a group(ex:Girl Scout)that the girls are her age.Because I had to put my Son in Boy Scouts with other boys his age.I have seen a positive child with postive friends.I think it was the best move I ever made.
    Anonymous

• I know this is always hard to hear bcuz it's hard to say. But I would say that 1, actions speak louder the words, search ur memmory and think who else in my house comes of like this, is it me, my husband, grandma if so nip that in the bid, and confront ur daughter with, I know that so and so acts like this but I have talked to them and they are going to make an effort to change.

Also, dont go back on ur word, if blah means she will be punished for X time then u have to stick to ur guns.

nattyrf511

Answer by nattyrf511 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• continued....
    I was a rehab councler and at one point also a councler in a planned parenthood and i will tell u that 99% of the girls who had been or were in trouble were girls that needed and wanted mothers not friends. My mom was one of those she thought she'd be mom of the yr if she was mmy friend and not my mom and I got in to soo many things at such a young age I thank God I am alive.

I now have a 2yr old son and a 4 month old baby girl and my mom tells me I have to be her friend or she'll grow up to "hate" me, and I can tell u this. If it was't for a few kind, and wise adults in my life that extended their hand to me in my adultlessesnts I would be dead right now.

Try to expose her to som healthy role models u being #1, maybe a big sister type thing.

By her a journal tell her to express her self threw it and once a week or more if u chose u can chose one page or "day" to discuss.

nattyrf511

Answer by nattyrf511 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• continued...
    Alot of times rebelouse attitude is a cover for a hurt and lost child help her open up to u, take a deep breath b4 u yell at her.

and ALWAYS rememeber how u handle things will be the way she will learn to handle things, be it shutting down, running away, yeling, over reacting, over shopping, drinking, eating etc...

She is so young u still have time to help her change for her own well being.

Good luck
    nattyrf511

Answer by nattyrf511 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2008