I must be an idiot......

Ok so when my sister had her first baby, a girl, i had just broken up with my husband and was in no financial position to give her a shower. Now she is pregnant again with a boy and Ive been unemployed since September....again im in no financial position to give her a baby shower since im struggling with two children of my own. However, she gave me a shower for both of mine. She is due in 7 weeks so I discussed with my mom putting together a small shower for my big sis. I want to do it at the end of May. I originally picked Memorial day weekend not realizing it was a holiday weekend. However I must be an idiot because I never realized "Memorial Day" is really the weekend after we observe it. When should I have her shower? On Sat 23 (Memorial Day weekend) or Saturday 30 (actual Memorial Day). When do you think would be most convienent for the people I invite? Oh and some inexpensive suggestions would be appriecated. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would do it the weekend after people usually celebrate it because most people do barbecue's and may already have plans....hope this helped!
    justcallmebean

Answer by justcallmebean at 6:50 PM on May. 3, 2009

• You are not an idiot. How sweet of you to throw a shower for her. Serve water and iced tea made from a caffine free tea. Make a cake and serve a veggie tray with like carrots and brocolli with maybe homemade popcorn or chips. Do you have any of your baby clothes or items from when you kids were babies? At one of mine someone brought me a ton of hand me downs. I thought it was awesome..plus you are family so its even better. Can you knit or chroche? Or do you know someone who does? See if they can make the baby a blanket. (church) You can find really nice stuff for baby at consignment stores. Or hop on Ebay.Then just invite lots of people. Put aside a little money each week for her shower. Do you have a Dollar Store there? They usually have tons of ribbons, themed napkins,matching ballons,streamers all for $1. Make your baby shower invitations or just call everyone to invite and then send a reminder email
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 6:51 PM on May. 3, 2009

• The dollar store is definately the way to go, everything is oging to get thrown out anyway so even if you have a bunch of cash its still silly to throw it away on expensive decorations. Food can be easy too, and I seriously doubt anyone would judge you on homemade goodies, we all know where America is right now. Good luck on the shower, I would have loved to have a shower from my sis so anything you do Im sure will be much appreciated.
    tatt2mommy

Answer by tatt2mommy at 8:24 PM on May. 3, 2009

• You don't have to do a whole bunch for food...I would do a bowl of punch, a cake, and maybe a couple snacks like watermelon wedges, some deviled eggs, and cookies. None of that is particularly expensive to make a lot of. If you don't have much money to offer a gift, maybe you could offer to sit for her when she needs it or help her out in some other way.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:49 PM on May. 3, 2009